chronic foley fluid intake per day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chronic foley fluid intake per day

I have recently been doing about 1 gallon of water a day, strictly water. I'm not sure right now if I have a UTI or not gotta get a culture done. Lot of sweating cold chills the past two days maybe something that will pass I hope. I'm feeling a little better than I have in the past 10 hours.

But other than that what is the recommended amount of fluid per day. And secondly, I've never heard of when to drink, does that matter too. I was thinking it would be easier to drink one 16-ounce glass of water every 12 hours. That would be 6 quarts. Also would there be any harm in drinking 8 ounce coffee every morning like I used to?
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

I cannot give you actual medical advice or anything recommended, I can only tell you what works for me.

I must drink at least 1 gallon of water per day in order to keep things running properly. 1.5g is better but very difficult.

The less I drink, the less time before things get gunked up and it has to be changed. If I go a few days drinking significantly less my bladder starts bothering me and it will need to be changed out.

It is actually pretty frustrating. For more than one reason. Firstly, drinking that much fluid is a PITA . It's just difficult. It feels like I'm drinking all the time. And of course the side effect of that is, liquid in = liquid out. So I'm constantly emptying the bag which can become frustrating, especially if I have something to do...

I do most of my drinking from about 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. overnight I try to get down about 32oz. I don't think too much about it at that time overnight but it does seem to keep things flowing better.

I do count all liquid. For instance today I'm having an enormous wonton soup. That should save me about a quart LOL...

​​​​​Out of every negative thing about this injury, the catheter is by far the most annoying, intrusive, and quality of life affecting.

Anyway sorry for the rant. Hope this helps in some small way. Good luck.

Comment

I think sometimes the catheter tip pokes the bladder causing UTI symptoms. Careful overdoing it with water, there is such a thing as too much. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and one late afternoon. Probably drink a half gallon of water per day. Also drink one beer a day and 3-4 oz. of brandy 5 times a week. I never drink soda or juices. I've had an SPC for 12 years and urethra foley for 10 years before that. The SPC, in my opinion, is by far the best way to go.

Comment

Yes there is such a thing as too much water, but the amounts are so much higher than what we are discussing. And it's really not measured by a 24-hour day. It is more drinking exorbitant amounts in very short periods of time that can be dangerous.

Outside of things like congenital heart failure or kidney issues, drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day certainly should not be an issue for the vast majority of people.

Comment

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon. So.. you are not even close. You should spread water intake over the 24 hours except when asleep. You can drink coffee but it is thought that caffeine actually dehydrates you and not the best thing to drink. Other factors-airfluidized mattress-can be drying to skin, Pulmonary secretions? Sweating? So 6 -20 ox. Bottles of water would almost be a gallon. If you can fine-not too much. But most aim for 4-5 20ozs. Total intake of water and juices. But, will this prevent UTI’s? In some will help but other factors of the bladder. I had a patient who lubed his cath with his spit, for years and years-very seldom got a UTI until he did… then chronic repeat UTI’s and bladder/kidney stones. Ellura is another recommendation that helps some. CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon. So.. you are not even close. You should spread water intake over the 24 hours except when asleep.
            I don't get it are you saying 128 ounces is not enough? Also, don't understand what you mean by when asleep. Actually, I drink more water from 8:00 o'clock PM to midnight it seems to flow easier while I lay in bed.
            Bob Seger

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
              I think sometimes the catheter tip pokes the bladder causing UTI symptoms. Careful overdoing it with water, there is such a thing as too much. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and one late afternoon. Probably drink a half gallon of water per day. Also drink one beer a day and 3-4 oz. of brandy 5 times a week. I never drink soda or juices. I've had an SPC for 12 years and urethra foley for 10 years before that. The SPC, in my opinion, is by far the best way to go.
              How have you coped with UTIs? Are you saying the SPC has helped?
              Bob Seger

Comment

Originally posted by tvot View Post
                I was thinking it would be easier to drink one 16-ounce glass of water every 12 hours. That would be 6 quarts.
                did you mean to type "every 1-2 hours"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                  did you mean to type "every 1-2 hours"?
                  Yes, I meant to say drink one 16oz every hour in a 12 hour time period. 16x12 =192oz. That is a little shy of 6 liters.

Bob Seger

Comment

Ok. I read you drank 32 ounces of water and coffee in 24 hours. CWO
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X