Coughing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coughing

I recently got over an upper respiratory cold and also tested positive for strep throat. It was a week of cold and flu medicine, antibiotics, buying a humidifier to help with the dryness, and having my husband assist in coughing by pushing on my stomach. I had to set up on a wedge and try to sleep every night because my nose would close up and my mouth would get so dry from having to breathe through my mouth. Taking a decongestant stopped the snot from running down the back of my throat for a little while. I took medicine with an expectorant hoping to stop the constant runny phlegm in the back of my nostrils and throat. When I use the humidifier it helped with not getting stopped up and getting dry but the more phlegm I swallowed seem to be the very phlegm I needed to cough up. When I would Breathe I would hear the crackling in my upper respiratory and it would scare me. I would have my husband push on my stomach while I breathed until I would get the phlegm up. My friend who is a quadriplegic has a cough assist machine that respiratory therapist have access to. I wish I would have had that. I am all better now but that was the scariest sickness I have had since my accident because it had to do with my respiratory system. When I had covid it was more allergy-like symptoms and loss of taste and smell but not the same kind of runny thick phlegm. Anyways I was sharing this to see what other people do when they have a upper respiratory cold. Advice recommendations stories of survival are all good! Oh and also is an expectorant the right medicine to take as a person with quadriplegia?
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Vicks on a bandana around my neck. if that doesn't work, Chinese mustard. that stuff would unplug a sewer pipe.

Comment

Decongestant to dry up the phlegm and ex pop Expectorant to help get the phlegm up. Cough assist is like a machine quad cough but most still do it manually or both. Next time you can ask your doctor to place order and order machine and RT to do and/or teach husband how to use. It does take training. Inhalers might also help but those are used to open your bronchus and bronchioles, like asthma, bronchitis and the Flu micron virus affected bronchus and other Covid affected the lungs etc… CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Vicks… memories of being slathered on my back and chest by my mother the RN. Now just put some under my nose. It does work and won’t hurt! CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Decongestant to dry up the phlegm and ex pop Expectorant to help get the phlegm up. Cough assist is like a machine quad cough but most still do it manually or both. Next time you can ask your doctor to place order and order machine and RT to do and/or teach husband how to use. It does take training. Inhalers might also help but those are used to open your bronchus and bronchioles, like asthma, bronchitis and the Flu micron virus affected bronchus and other Covid affected the lungs etc… CWO
          So, an expectorant is okay for a quadriplegic to take? My husband always told me not take it because we were afraid it might cause the phlegm to be so runny that it gets in my lungs. I finally got desperate and took it in the daytime and it did seem to loosen up the thickness in the upper parts of my nose and throat allowing me to at least swallow it. I noticed the more I tried to swallow it it would never go fully down and I would always be coughing it up or trying to cough it up in the back of my throat.
          Marie
          Unbroken by the grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by Quad Marie View Post

So, an expectorant is okay for a quadriplegic to take? My husband always told me not take it because we were afraid it might cause the phlegm to be so runny that it gets in my lungs. I finally got desperate and took it in the daytime and it did seem to loosen up the thickness in the upper parts of my nose and throat allowing me to at least swallow it. I noticed the more I tried to swallow it it would never go fully down and I would always be coughing it up or trying to cough it up in the back of my throat.
            It might help some to do the throat exercises recommended to improve swallowing. I'm unable to upload at the moment.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	swallowing exersizes(1).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	2919317

Comment

• scimike
                scimike commented
                Editing a comment
                Please send the link to this website. Thanks

Makes it easier to cough up-can’t stay in lung or bronchus. Decongestants with pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine in some can cause a high pulse rate and high blood pressure and heart palpitations. Important not to take larger doses than recommended. CWO

Comment

Working...
              X