Recurring bladder stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring bladder stones

Lately, I had to do a bladder stone removal every 2 years. Not small stones but 3cm/1inch size type. Until now they removed the stones by cystolithotripsy (crushing them inside my bladder). Unfortunately this time they consider making a cystolithotomy (to cut the bladder and extract the stone). This stone has 3.5cm and 1400 HU hardness. More than that, I have a 1cm kidney stone too.

Until now, all my urologic problems were solved by the urologists from the local clinic. They told me that my body produces stones, and there is nothing to do about it. My intuition tells me that it has to be a better way. It must be something that I can add or remove from my diet/habits/etc, but I have to find the right urologist which can help me to fix this problem.

I'll need your advice on this problem. How to solve the problem of recurring bladder stones? How can I find a better urologist?

there is a 24 hr test that tells the general content of one's urine. You pee into a bucket all night then send a small sample of it to a lab. Mine told me I had an excess of something found in green leafy vegetables and I was told to cut down on those.

I also take a TCM herbal compound called 'Dissolve' which is supposed to help dissolve stones. It is only available from practitioners, such as an acupuncturist. What I can say about it is that it stimulates my system to eliminate a lot of mucous and small stones, like sand, with the occasional one about 1/8 inch across. I take it regularly. No research evidence whatsoever.

Comment

They can send a sample of the stone and then tell you if anything can be changed. Usually not but drinking a lot of water is always recommended. Most UTI in SCI is made of structure and they think it is from recurrent infection/inflammation and has nothing to do with diet. CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

thank you so much for your reply.

I did some digging and it seems that no matter how strong the stones are, they can be fragmented. I'm getting it right or the stones (like mine with 1400HU) can only be extracted through cystostomy?

Comment

do a home 24 hr test thru litholink. excellent report and each report you see all prev results, thus you can see trends

Comment

Sounds like you had cystolithopaxy and now they want to do it open. They may feel they can get more of the stones and not keep stones in. Bring that hard, they may be too large, even when fragmented and hard to clear the urethra. Are they doing kidney stone first then bladder.? Larger hospitals should have a Urology Department and usually one or several do a lot of the “stone” cases. Would be nice for a urologist who sees a lot of SCI patients. But ask your doctors more questions. CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

For now, the plan is to remove only the bladder stone. Latter they plan to do a RIRS for the kidney stone.

Comment

Working...
              X