Colostomy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colostomy question

I’ve had a colostomy for a few years now and besides a couple problems, it’s been amazing. What’s weird though is about every 3 months I’ll get this slightly bloody to clear discharge from my anus. It’s pretty substantial too and it usually lasts for 5 days or so. Is that normal?

A mucous plug (some call it a rectal plug) forms even for those with a colostomy because the rectum continues to produce mucous but no longer poops it out, and needs to be discharged with some regularity. For me, I have to do a “bowel program” involving a magic bullet and digital stimulation about once a month. Usually what I discharge is a rather firm gelatinous plug, sometimes 2 or 3 small ones. But the first time I learned about this was about 3 months after my colostomy, and I experienced what sounds eerily close to what you’ve experienced. Since then I’ve done this “bowel program” routine monthly, and haven’t had another issue since.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Thanks a lot. It’s not fun haha

Comment

Originally posted by Vike View Post
        Thanks a lot. It’s not fun haha
        Not fun, but in my experience really not that bad! As long as you get it every month, ha ha. Not sure what your function level is, but I’m able to do the program in my shower chair by myself using some tools. For the sake of humor I’ll tell you that one of the tools is a pair of pliers, so you can use your imagination and laugh your ass off at me if you’d like!
        C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

i was thinking of getting one done but for the reasons you have pointed out id rather go through the bigger operation and remove the rest of the colon not in use and sewn up anus, just not sure im there yet for going down the route

Comment

Yeah I wish would have now

Comment

Well, I had that done when I started getting copious butt snot and nothing eliminated it!
              News Flash: I still get junk out, just not as much or often.

The surgeon took as much as he could but there's still a rectal pocket.
              He said that if he did the surgery to eliminate everything, recovery would be the same as from a flap. No thanks!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Our GI doctors order one Fleets saline enema once a month. CWO
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i will take a little butt snott over the old way any day of the week just wish i had know earlier

Comment

Working...
                  X