Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small sore starting on tail bone area

Hi,

I have a small sore developing on my tail bone area.

Early summer is when I first noticed a small sore like this there. I started doing more pressure relief and trying to stay off it more and it seemed to heal up.

Now it is back.

should I be worried yet? We have a road trip planned this weekend and are going to be on the road for 40 hours roughly. I really don't want to cancel it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I think you know that you should stay off it completely. No laying on your back in bed, and no sitting. Keep it moist (not wet) and covered.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

When I'm sitting straight up or bent over forwards, it doesn't seem like there is any pressure on the area. As the sore is not underneath at that point and more pointed towards my back rest. It wouldn't be ok to sit like this from time to time?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
        SCI-Nurse commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem with a pressure injury in this area is that the stretching of tissue over the area when sitting keeps the wound from closing properly, so I would not recommend it. Any way you could lay down on the back seat on your side for this long drive? (KLD)

This area seems to keep healing and then opening up in this crease (not always the exact same spot, but same area) it doesn't seem like it is a pressure sore. Is there something I could be doing to prevent this from continuing to open up?

Comment

I ended up going on the road trip with the original sore and stayed off it and left it open in the air and it dried up and scabbed over relatively quickly and healed within a week.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Pressure injuries don't heal well by letting it "dry up". This is long out-dated. They should be kept covered and moist until completely epithelialized. (KLD)

When a pressure injury heals by secondary intention like this, it does not fill in with normal tissue (muscle, fat, dermis and epidermis, but with scar tissue, which is much more vulnerable to pressure and shear than normal skin. Have you had a seating evaluation with different cushions using computerized interface pressure testing? Are you avoiding laying on your back in bed (especially with the head of the bed raised)?

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have not had a seating evaluation done since rehab in 2007/2008. I have been sitting on a low profile Roho for the past 15 years with no issues. I have always slept on my sides during the night.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like you are overdue for a seating evaluation. A Roho may not be the right cushion for you, and it is not uncommon for muscle atrophy and other issues to change your seating profile. (KLD)

The sore has healed I think. But the area is still tender and so I am being careful so sit properly in my chair.

A started thinking of things I may have been doing differently lately. I did get a new hand bike last summer where I sit a bit differently on it. Also the past 4 months we were living in our basement due to renos and I was sitting in an old wheelchair (first chair over 14 years old) another thing is I was slouching in my chair quite a bit when watching TV and realized this was putting pressure completely on this area.

I have been making a conscious effort to try and sit more proper in my chair, hoping that helps the situation.

Does this updated picture look like progress?

Comment

Originally posted by wheelz1989 View Post
            The sore has healed I think. But the area is still tender and so I am being careful so sit properly in my chair.
            I have been making a conscious effort to try and sit more proper in my chair, hoping that helps the situation.

Does this updated picture look like progress?
            this looks quite good, Wheelz!

Comment

Slowly build up your sitting time. Do weight shifts every 15 minutes. CWO

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                When a pressure injury heals by secondary intention like this, it does not fill in with normal tissue (muscle, fat, dermis and epidermis, but with scar tissue, which is much more vulnerable to pressure and shear than normal skin. Have you had a seating evaluation with different cushions using computerized interface pressure testing? Are you avoiding laying on your back in bed (especially with the head of the bed raised)?

(KLD)

Agree. I've had battles with pressure sores. I'm very active to say least.

I found the BEST THERE IS to heal. They heal from inside out. They're made by bandaid brand and create your bodies own blister to heal just the way you're supposed to like you mention Sci Nurse.

You'll should check them out. Wheelz, that opens again check them out. Find them at any CVS or some local grocery stores etc

Comment

Originally posted by Ajstevens View Post

Agree. I've had battles with pressure sores. I'm very active to say least.

I found the BEST THERE IS to heal. They heal from inside out. They're made by bandaid brand and create your bodies own blister to heal just the way you're supposed to like you mention Sci Nurse.

You'll should check them out. Wheelz, that opens again check them out. Find them at any CVS or some local grocery stores etc
                  What is it called?

Comment

• C1Jeff
                    C1Jeff commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's the Band-Aid hydro Seal

It has stayed closed still. I am keeping very close eye on it still.

Another thing to mention is I started a new diet in September 2021 and have lost some weight (maybe 20- 30 pounds). I could just be imagining this but i feel like i lost some of that weight in my upper thighs and butt. Is that normal? To lose weight there. Can losing that extra fat there cause me extra problems now?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                    SCI-Nurse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unfortunately, you can't control where you loose fat when you loose weight. It is likely you have quite atrophied muscles in those areas; can you do any FES on those muscles to maintain/build bulk in those muscles. You may also need to get a re-evaulation of your cushion with a computerized interface pressure evaluation, as this may change with a change in body habitus. (KLD)

Ok - so I did have a seating evaluation done. ROHO was still recommended and nothing seemed to change from last time. Not much pressure in the problem area if any.(depending how I am sitting, of course).

I got an FES bike and started riding 3 days a week using the 4 glute pads (and hamstring, quad). I've done this now for 4 months.

The sore seems to keep recurring every 2-3 months. I make a point to check every day to keep a close eye. It then heals up within 5 days without much intervention from myself.

I haven't been doing anything differently from the past 15 years. It almost doesn't seem like a traditional pressure sore. I wonder if using some sort of cream on the area daily would maybe help.

Comment

Have you had an MRI to check for an abscess? Had to do a flap in 2015 and never closed fully, had to do another flap same area and didn't close all the way. Then had PT here at the house who mentioned to my wife my BP was 40; rushed to the hsop and spent two weeks. They were getting ready to discharge me and I refused until the did an MRI to ensure there was nothing underneath. Course the docs had previously said there was no way I could have an abscess with all the antibiotics I was given. Well, they did the MRI and sure enough there was a small pocket of abscess just waiting to start it all over again. Once that was cleared, I haven't had an issue post 7 years since the first.

Sure feel for you buddy, as we age this SCI, takes its toll.

Comment

Working...
                    X