What is causing this pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is causing this pain?

I've admitted myself to A&E three times over the last year with chronic lower abdominal pains, and each time they told me it's constipation and trapped wind. In short, six months of Laxido seem to be doing the trick. Also, my stomach has reduced in size considerably. However, as my stomach subsides in size & my daily bowel movement improve dramatically, the pains are getting worse. In hindsight, I have been constipated for many years now. Could this dramatic change in bowel movement have anything to do with the increased pain? I am down to see somebody at Torbay Hospital and have a cat scan. I'm also a list to have a stoma. But the pain is just unbelievable, and it is wearing me down. I eventually had some horrible nights and days where the pain was so bad I didn't think I would see the night through. But it's the kind of pain that moves around the abdomen. One minute you can have the most terrible stabbing pain in the bottom left, then you feel it travelling over to the right. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If you are having gas pain from gas trapped in your large intestine (colon) then you may want to look at your diet to see if you have any gas-forming foods that can be eliminated from your diet. Keeping a food diary will help with this.

There is also a product called "Beano" (Alpha-galactosidase enzyme) which is over-the-counter in the USA that will help reduce gas for many. https://www.beanogas.com/

Some have found medicinal charcoal tablets helpful, but you need to be sure to take these at times that won't interfere with the absorption of your other medications. Check with your pharmacist (chemist) about this. Here is one brand available in the UK: https://www.healthpharm.co.uk/produc...RoCpOQQAvD_BwE

I doubt it is lactose intolerance, as in addition to abdominal cramps that usually causes loose stools or diarrhea, not constipation.

Have you seen a gastroenterologist about your issues?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      If you are having gas pain from gas trapped in your large intestine (colon) then you may want to look at your diet to see if you have any gas-forming foods that can be eliminated from your diet. Keeping a food diary will help with this.

There is also a product called "Beano" (Alpha-galactosidase enzyme) which is over-the-counter in the USA that will help reduce gas for many. https://www.beanogas.com/

Some have found medicinal charcoal tablets helpful, but you need to be sure to take these at times that won't interfere with the absorption of your other medications. Check with your pharmacist (chemist) about this. Here is one brand available in the UK: https://www.healthpharm.co.uk/produc...RoCpOQQAvD_BwE

I doubt it is lactose intolerance, as in addition to abdominal cramps that usually causes loose stools or diarrhea, not constipation.

Have you seen a gastroenterologist about your issues?

(KLD)
      Thanks, I will have a look at these products you listed.

Yes, I went to see a gastroenterologist a few weeks ago. I am down on the list to have a cat scan. Also, I am being referred to my local SCI hospital to have a stoma fitted.

It's now been one whole week with an excellent substantial bowel movement every morning in 30 minutes using suppositories. Something is going on in my digestive system because I shouldn't be getting these pains. The pain is mostly right down the bottom of the abdomen, either to the right or the left. When I'm lying in bed, it feels like the intestine is constantly spasming.
      Last edited by Penn; 18 Nov 2021, 7:45 AM.

Comment

Colostomy dude best thing I ever did
        Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

Comment

Working...
        X