Freezing cold back! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing cold back! Help!

I'm a quadriplegic and have been experiencing a freezing cold sensation in my back. It doesn't matter what I wear, or what I lay on in bed. It feels like I'm laying on a slab of ice. It also feels wet to me as well. But when anyone touches it, it's always warm and dry. I am constantly wrapped up in blankets, but it doesn't help take away the extremely cold feeling. This has been going on for a couple of years. Even in the summer, it's still extremely cold. Has anyone else had this problem? I am truly desperate for answers.

It sounds like the sort of neuropathy for which people take gabapentin. Have you tried that?

Comment

• Handiman67
      Handiman67 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, I have tried that and it did not help with it at all. I guess I will just have to keep searching for answers.

There are other drugs used for neuropathic pain in SCI/D as well. These include Lyrica, Tegretol, and medical marijuana. Have you tried these?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• Califanna
      Califanna commented
      Editing a comment
      When is the best time to take pregabalin? I am starting this weekend to take it. The new nerve pain comes from Mild flattening of the cord at C5-C6 and C6-C7 disc space levels are seen with compromise of bilateral exiting
      C6 and C7 nerve roots. I have pain in shoulders and limited movement.

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Best to take in divided doses twice a day (every 12 hours). (KLD)

• Califanna
      Califanna commented
      Editing a comment
      KLD Thank you for advice about dividing up dosage on Lyrica/Pregabilin.

I have tried Lyrica, but not Tegretol. Maybe I will ask my doctor what he thinks. Thank you again for your response!

Comment

I moved from Seattle to Arizona for that reason
      and often using heating blankets
      Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

Comment

I've tried heating blankets and every other type of blanket. Unfortunately, nothing helps. It can be 95° outside in the middle of summer, and it is still freezing cold.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Suspect this is a type of neuropathic pain. Have you been tried on meds such as Elavil, Neurontin, Lyrica, or MJ? (KLD)

I have something similar in my left elbow that has been there since my accident 3 1/2 years ago, but I never really asked about it to figure out why. Came to the same conclusion that it’s probably neuropathic pain, which I’ve been fortunate to avoid in it’s more pronounced impression that a lot of people have. I’m meeting with a cannabis physician this Friday to see if that approach might help with unrelated pain and spasticity, but I’m curious if it might help with this as well. Will post here if I see any impact, assuming I go that route.
        C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Working...
        X