Adrenal Insufficiency Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrenal Insufficiency Treatment

I have finally been diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency after dealing with dangerously low blood pressures for a few years. They had tried midodine, without any real success. I'm currently taking fludrocortisone 0.1 mg tablet 2 daily and hydrocortisone Take 15 mg (3tablets) at 8am and 5 mg (1 tablet) at 3pm. I have a Cervical 4/5 spinal injury since 1993. I have been on this dose for approximately 10+ months. Over the last two months I have started to retained a lot of fluid very noticeably in my face, hands, legs, and ankles. My diet has not changed and my care workers have verbalized the difference when transferring me. I notice that I have been taking deeper breathes as if I was exerting physical energy. I wondered if there were other treatments. Instead of taking all of these steroids? Thank you in advance for any input.

Are you working with a good endocrinologist for this? I am not an expert of this issue, so suggest you discuss this with them.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• tinern
      tinern commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm seeing an endocrinologist. I was just hoping someone might have some personal experience, with this.

It's not a common problem for people with SCI, and differs from the orthostatic and neurogenic hypotension that is common in those with SCI/D.

Long term use of steroids can cause edema, electrolyte problems, increase your risk for diabetes, and other problems.

I assume you previously were tried on Midodrine?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• tinern
      tinern commented
      Editing a comment
      I did try Midodrine several years ago. It was going through several health situations at that time and to be perfectly honest maybe it was not evaluated correctly. I will certainly bring that up with my Endocrinologist. I was a victim of my low blood pressure in my everyday life. It was so low that some days I wasn't comfortable leaving the house. Having said that, the steroids have truly given me a life back to me. But I'm uncomfortable with the side effects and future long-term side effects.
Working...
X