trouble changing my SP tube-duette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble changing my SP tube-duette

Now I am ready for my 6th tube since getting the SPT. My last change I had some problems getting the duette catheter in. It went in the outer hole OK but didn't want to go into the bladder. Finally I took a traditional single balloon foley that I had and inserted it mainly to see which direction (angle) it needed to go. It was straight in. I pulled out that catheter and retried the duette with more determination and got the pop when it entered my bladder. I figured the regular foley went in easy due to the rounded point of the tip whereas the duette is not pointed and more or less square ended. So, has anybody else had this issue and any advice for me.This will be my 3rd Duette, I did not have any problem putting the first duette in but it was hard to remove due to the the holding balloon being wrinkled up. And no, I didnt suck the inflation fluid out, I let the balloon push the syringe.
    My previous issues with bladder spasms have gone away, mostly, I think due to the Duette catheter. My SP tube is quiet comfortable now.

same here sometimes easy sometime i have to have help. think sometimes just how i am setting

Comment

Mine is difficult every time I change it. It eventually goes in but I have to force it harder than I would like to. I actually had my urologist change it early on after I started having this issue to see if it was something I was doing wrong. He had the same problem. And like you, I didn't have any issues with a regular foley catheter before I started using the Duette.

Comment

I am waiting in some 'regular" balloon catheters to have on hand before I put a new duette in. I want to be prepared in case I can't get the duette in.

Comment

Sometimes things can vary depending on the arrangement and quantity of waste in the colon, at least for a female.

Comment

I changed the catheter several days ago. Things didn't go so well and was worse than the last time. I tried inserting the new duette quickly but I could not get it into the bladder, it when thru the abdominal wall without much issue but not the bladder. Since time was progressing I grabbed single balloon foley got it in without too much drama.. I inflated the balloon and took a few minutes to try to figure things it out. So I threw away the duette that didn't go in and got another one out and decided to pull the regular foley and try to put the new duette in with no more than a couple of seconds delay and pay close attention to the angle. This time it went in without too much issue. I plan on keeping a spare Bardia IC silver coated on haand just in case it doesnt work at all in the futrue. Hmmm, let's see, only used three catheters to do this this monthly change. I am relatively new with my SP tube having got it around March-April this year.I am already dreading the next change! Ideas?
            PS, I earlier made a comment about the duette being squarish at the insertion end, after closer examining the duette, it is not as i said, it's actually fairly streamlined but not as smooth the regular foley. So I don't know.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              The Duette may not be for you. Sorry. (KLD)

i find its stiffer harder than single ballon thats soft i also use a lot of lube but we keep single handy just in case

Comment

For what it's worth, I saw my urologist last week for my yearly visit. I asked him if forcing the duette in could damage anything and he said no. He said the pathway through the stomach goes straight to the bladder and there isn't anything that it could hurt. Like I mentioned before, he put a duette in once for me and had to force it just like I do. I know it's uncomfortable to do and I don't like how hard I have to push it in. But it always goes in eventually, I just have to be patient and keep trying. I still think the benefits of having the dual balloons and therefore less damage to my bladder wall still outweighs the frustration of changing the duette each time.

Comment

I'm not giving up just yet. As far as going into the bladder I am pushing as hard as the catheter will let me. When it goes into the bladder I feel a pop. I might try to dilate the bladder hole by slightly inflating the holding balloon. I will have to "bench test" with just how much inflation will cause the balloon to have a slight bulge. maybe just a cc or maybe less. I sorta tried that already to get the wrinkles out of the deflated balloon to make pulling it out easier, but I didn't work at that much..
                The worse part maybe, all this fussing with the insertion caused me to make some procedural mistakes in cleanness, lost my focus. .

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                  SCI-Nurse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Be careful. While your urologist may do it with significant force, it is possible to push too hard and damage the stoma or even perforate the bladder. (KLD)

Thanks, I am trying to be careful, a large concern of mine is to have the catheter miss the bladder hole and go between the bladder and abdominal tissue. That said, with the catheter being so flexible, it hard to put a lot of force.

Comment

Working...
                X