Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really Impacted, what should I do?? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Impacted, what should I do?? Please help!

Hello CCC!

2 1/2 weeks ago, I went to a wedding, felt sluggish, appetite was fine. A couple of days later I noticed my blood pressure dropping suddenly, my appetite started reducing. 2 weeks ago, went to a wedding and 4 out of 5 in my fam got really sick (I was very weak, couldn't eat, very lethargic), BP dropped more frequently and more intense. As my cold got better, so did my BP issue. A week ago, I couldn't sit up in my chair all day (I'm normally very active, workout 5 times a week, eat clean diet). 2 days ago, I had a blood check and had 820 Vitamin B12 and everything else was normal.

What could be happening to me? Is it A.D.?
    Last edited by TheAbleChef; 7 Oct 2021, 2:54 PM.
    Never Give Up!

This is not a pain issue. Moving it to the Care forum. (KLD)

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Autonomic dysreflexia (AD) has the opposite effect...it makes your blood pressure shoot up; you technically do not have autonomic dysreflexia unless your systolic blood pressure is at least 30-40 mm. Hg above your normal baseline. In addition, AD is almost exclusively seen in those with injuries at or above the T-7 level (although it is occasionally reported in those with injuries as low as T10). Your profile indicates that your LOI is T12, so it would be extremely unlikely that you would have AD.

Low blood pressure caused by SCI is nearly always a type of orthostatic hypotension, and again rarely seen in those with injuries below T7 or so. This is blood pressure that drops when you sit or stand suddenly, and which returns to normal when you lay flat. I don't see that indicated in your message above.

Low blood pressure can be associated in anyone (AB or with a SCI) with gram negative bacterial sepsis. Again, I don't see any mention of a serious infection like this in your post.

Were you dehydrated? Were you taking any new medication that might lower your blood pressure? Any bleeding from an undiagnosed ulcer or other internal organ?

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I had a sudden low BP, around 40. Was after having a flap surgery that never completely healed. Went to ER and after a few tries of getting the BP up they were going to try one more option and then let me go.

Turned out I had an abscess under the wound still. May have been going the route of sepsis but caught it in time. Was a long saga that doesn't need retelling but may be an infection. They did a blood check on me too and said after so many strong antibiotics, no way would an infection be anywhere. I insisted on a MRI or catscan to ensure all was gone. After doing the whatever scan they took, it showed the abscess. If they had sent me home it would have flared up again. Once it was gone, the flap healed and haven't had an issue with BP or skin going on 6 years.

Comment

Could impaction cause a severe drop in BP?
          Never Give Up!

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Never heard of that occurring. An impaction can certainly cause AD (severely ELEVATED blood pressure). (KLD)

Over the past 3 days, not including today, I had an enema each day (full bottle 1st day and 12 bottles on 2nd and 3rd day). I can still feel stool in my upper colon. I've used my Motomed to help move my bowels but not success. I've taken Restoralax, Prune juice, and drinking lots of water. This issue has been going on for a week now.

I feel fine, I have a bit of a headache, I feel restless, a little agitated,

At what should I go to the hospital??
          Never Give Up!

Comment

If you have taken all of those enemas (over 24), you should go to the ER now. That is a lot of fluid and medication to not have any effect.
            ckf

Comment

Any update? That many large enemas can put you at risk for both bowel perforation and electrolyte imbalances.

Personally, if I see someone who is impacted, but still has good bowel sounds and who is passing gas (indicating they have not progressed to a paralytic ileus), I like giving a tablespoon of Lactulose orally every hour, plus 2 senna tablets or bisacodyl tablets every 4 hours until they have a large formed bowel movement. Enemas are difficult to give properly in a person with paralysis of their anal sphincter, risk trauma, and don't usually work very well. They can also cause serious AD in those at risk.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
              X