Question for quadriplegics with colostomy bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for quadriplegics with colostomy bag

I’m a 52-year-old male C5/6 quadriplegic 17 years post injury. I’ve always been pretty physically active but in the last year I’ve really slow down with the pandemic. I’ve also had very slow moving bowels for the last several years. I often have a lot of gas and bloating both during the bowel program and after usually accompanied with abdominal pain

Often my routine takes 2 hours plus. Usually I drink one dose of MiraLAX and take 2 senna before my program recently had also tried lactulose and have done magnesium citrate on multiple occasions when I really need to get cleaned out. I’ve also tried Peristeen for a while but I have had limited success

So my doctor is strongly suggesting that I get a colostomy which I am warming up to. I’d like to ask other quadriplegics that have a colostomy fo 5 years or less to answer these questions but I have:

1. Did you have a problem with gas, bloating and abdominal pain before the surgery? If so did the surgery resolve your symptoms?

2. How many times a day do you need to empty the bag? Can you do it yourself or need assistance?

3. How do you release any gas buildup?

4 What is sex and intimacy like with a colostomy?

5. What issues or concerns do you have with your colostomy?

6. Do you feel that the colostomy has overall improved quality of life?

7. Did you have any body image or self-esteem issues with getting the colostomy? If so how did you deal with them?

Thanks I look forward to hearing from you all!

Gas bloating caused cramping for me pre colostomy. Now I usually just pass the gas spontaneously instead of my sphincter holding it in. I change bags myself using the convatec esteem adhesive 2 piece system. Usually takes me about five or 10 minutes. Best choice I ever made so far. How can I have any body image issues when I’ve got this quad gut and I’m stuck in a chair. My arms are the size of a 13 year olds 😂. I would have to say there is physically nothing appealing to being a quadriplegic.
    there’s only one thing I do the same pre-and post colostomy. I take milk of magnesia. Pre-colostomy I would drink a couple tablespoons every night before bed. Now I take one Phillips magnesium tablet every morning with my coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebiggs View Post
      1. Did you have a problem with gas, bloating and abdominal pain before the surgery? If so did the surgery resolve your symptoms?
      It may or may not help. A lot depends on where the colostomy is done and if that is before or after your poorly motile section of bowel.

2. How many times a day do you need to empty the bag? Can you do it yourself or need assistance?
      Again, this may vary from person to person and the location of your colostomy. The closer it is to the cecum, the more liquid will be the stool, and generally the more often it will pass into the appliance bag. When we did colostomies for our tetraplegic clients, we had the ostomy nurse and occupational therapist work together to see about finding the right brand/model of appliance that was the easiest for the client to empty/change themselves.

Best to get an appliance system that has vented charcoal filter bags. Your ostomy nurse can help you with this.

Ideally, empty your bag prior to genital sexual activity. You can also get fabric appliance bag covers so the stool in the bag is not seen.

Several research studies done on this with people with SCI indicate that the vast majority felt their quality of life was vastly improved. You can search older posts on this forum to find testimonials to this.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Before my colostomy I was miserable with gas, bloating and abdominal pain. After my colostomy I no longer have those issues.

It could be once or twice a day or I can go days without anything.

My bag has a charcoal filter.

Same as before my colostomy.

5. What issues or concerns do you have with your colostomy?
        None.

Most definitely has.

7. Did you have any body image or self-esteem issues with getting the colostomy? If so how did you deal with them?
        Nope.

Comment

Working...
        X