sp cath leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sp cath leaking

I get my Sp Cath changed every 30 days, after the last two changes ive noticed leaking from the stoma area.My wife changed my legbag straps that helped at first then it leaked again.I wore my night bag while up in my chair that only lasted a few days the only solution was connecting a legbag with no tube has anyone had an experience like this if so how did you fix the problem? p.s when in bed with my night bag on it never leaks...

Do you have a UTI? Are you taking an anticholenergic medication to calm bladder spasms? Are you also leaking from your urethra? Have you changed brands or sizes of indwelling catheters for your SP?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont think I have a UTI,Im taking Methaline sorry spelling,im not sure if im leaking from the urethra where would that come from.I havent changed catheter size its an 18

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Mandelamine does not prevent UTIs, much less treat them, especially if you have an indwelling urethral or SP catheter. Leakage from your urethra would come out your penis. Is your catheter latex? (KLD)

Originally posted by SLIQNES View Post
    I get my Sp Cath changed every 30 days, after the last two changes ive noticed leaking from the stoma area.My wife changed my legbag straps that helped at first then it leaked again.I wore my night bag while up in my chair that only lasted a few days the only solution was connecting a legbag with no tube has anyone had an experience like this if so how did you fix the problem? p.s when in bed with my night bag on it never leaks...
    What kind of catheter do you use?

Comment

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Bardia brand.

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Latex? Silastic or Teflon coated? Silicone? (KLD)

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      They are latex

Latex catheter use long-term can lead to latex sensitivity or even allergy eventually. The former can cause increased bladder spasm and an irritated, inflammed bladder. See if you cannot get a Teflon or Silastic coated catheter or a silicone catheter instead and see if this problem does not resolve. You may also need to take an anticholenergic medication to calm any bladder spasm.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all of this information,i forgot to mention that i take Trospium.

What size catheter do you use?

Comment

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      I use an 18

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have a UTI? (KLD)
    I leak around my sp when I have a UTI. And I don't have any other symptoms fever chills sweating etc. You should get checked for a UTI. Also maybe try the Duette catheter. They will send you some samples.

Comment

• SLIQNES
      SLIQNES commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info i'll look into those options.

Make sure they put in the right size cathether. I use a 16/5, My new nurse put in a a 16/30 and I leaked like crazy til they changed it.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      That's because the larger balloon was triggering bladder spasms in your (likely) shrunken bladder. (KLD)

Yes, you're exactly right KLD. I figured it out when I looked at the cath and it said 16/30. When I got the nurse to change it after flushing, taking some water out of the baloon. No more problems...

Comment

Working...
    X