DIY saline for SP catheter flush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY saline for SP catheter flush?

It seems my husband Danny has a lot of “crud” and has been advised to flush his SP three times a day. Most often this works for several days and eventually a nurse must change the tube. Longest has been 16 days before issues. We are going on a 9-day vacation and won’t have the “luxury” to call a nurse if clogged. Doc says insurance rarely pays for 90 flushes per month so we are going to make our own saline solution. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? A good, safe recipe would be great! All of the ones I see when searching are for nasal and wound wash so I’m hesitant to use them. Thanks.

I use saline once a day to instill /irrigate w/ Gentamicin. Fortunately insurance chips in for the amount I get. I was searching for something recently and came across some recipes for making saline, here is one:

https://www.gillettechildrens.org/yo...ng-the-bladder

Enjoy your vacation!

Comment

Thank you for the info. Glad your insurance takes care of you! I followed the link you provided but I can’t seem to find the actual recipe, just procedures and how much white vinegar to add to the homemade solution.

Comment

I am not seeing any white vinegar ingredient in any recipe.

The third topic down is the saline recipe when I go to that link:

"Normal Saline Recipe

All patients who’ve had bladder surgery should irrigate their bladders at least once daily for the rest of their lives. Here are two recipes for normal saline used for irrigation.

Option One: Mix 1 gallon distilled water with 8 teaspoons of table salt. Shake until the salt is dissolved.

Option Two: Boil 2 quarts of tap water for 10 minutes. Add 4 teaspoons of table salt to the boiled water. After the saline cools, pour it into a plastic bottle (preferably the one you got from the hospital)."

Here are some other recipes:
        https://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/...n_the_Home.pdf

https://www.phoenixchildrens.org/fil...Saline-861.pdf

I think I would use distilled water.

Comment

The second Q& A in this "New Mobility" article mentions an interesting consideration:

"“If somebody comes into our clinic and has a lot of mucus in their bladder, first we run them through tests to make sure they don’t have a stone,” says Wagner. “If things check out, we will put them on a normal saline flush. The thing that is kind of tricky is there has been less prescription insurance coverage for normal saline.” Wagner says there is a recipe for making your own saline flush but she discourages it because if mixed incorrectly and there is too much salt in the solution, the bladder will absorb the salt. If your insurance doesn’t cover saline and money is tight, you can use distilled water instead."

https://newmobility.com/cathing-alte...ion-explained/

Comment

Thank you! I’m not sure how I didn’t see the same thing when I first looked but I really appreciate your second reply. I will definitely follow that recipe. Thanks again!

Comment

• ChesBay
              ChesBay commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome! I hope it helps.

Frequent routine irrigation of a catheter in the absence of a surgical procedure such as a bladder augmentation or neobladder (which produces excessive mucous in the bladder) surgery is not recommended. It actually increases your risks for UTIs. The best irrigation for mucous is "from above" (ie, drinking at least 3 liters of fluids daily).

If you are having encrustation of your catheter (not just mucous, but hard crystals) or sandy type sediment, then a daily INSTILLATION of Renacidin solution (not NaCL 0.9%) may be helpful. Instillation is different than irrigation. You should discuss this with your urologist.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you! Danny HAS increased his water intake and keeps a close eye on protein intake. His urologist is who advised flushing 3 times a day. To my knowledge he just has “crud” not crystals - thankfully. Now I’m not sure what to do…

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                The next time you change the catheter, save the old one and cut it cross-wise across the lumen in several places and look inside to see if he has encrustations. Also, avoid using a latex catheter unless it is Teflon or Silastic coated, as latex is the most common material to clog and encourage mucous development. (KLD)

i have a gallon of solution you can have, i sent you a PM i hope.

Comment

Working...
              X