Frequency of Bowel Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequency of Bowel Movement

I have a question about the frequency of bowel movements. I’ve read on here that it is better to have daily bowel movements but my body only seems to want to go every 2 to 3 days. It’s not going every day setting myself up for problems? My injury was at C4/5, 26 years ago.

shares some good approaches to having more frequent bowel movements.

Whenever I have tried to do go each day either I’m taking so much laxative/stool softener that I’m having numerous accidents while up in the chair or nothing happens when I start a bowel movement.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Your bowel movements depend on many things: acitivity, water and food and fiber intake and laxatives

if you don’t eat much food during the day your body doesn’t produce enough stool to expel daily.
    Also fiber - including whole grains, vegetables and fruits AND Water together produces more bulk in stool formation.
    Lastly - a regular diet promotes gastric reflex at certain times of the day, stimulating bowel movement.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Agree, diet is the key.
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

Gastric reflex?
        can u explain?
        you mean spasms like i suffer?

Comment

The gastric reflex is stimulated ( to have a bowel movement) when you eat a meal. It is the reason many providers suggest a hot beverage Andrew breakfast in the morning before you perform a bowel program.

pbr
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            The gastric reflex is stimulated ( to have a bowel movement) when you eat a meal. It is the reason many providers suggest a hot beverage Andrew breakfast in the morning before you perform a bowel program.

pbr

Thank you for responding, However either there must be a typo or your comments must be dumbed down for my Limited brain capacity to understand

Comment

Total typo on “ Andrew”.

Comment

I was injured 41 years ago. I've learned early on I only need to go every three days with no problems. I can eat like the normal pig I was before and everything was fine. Four years ago I had start going every other day and had to be very careful of what I ate. Now it seems like I'm lucky if I can make it two days. It almost seems like I have irritable bowel syndrome. This is another thing it doesn't matter if I eat peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches the gas is ridiculous. And that's after taking Beano whenever I eat. Give it another week or two and then I have to go to gastro Dr. This is getting be very aggravating. So with that said if I were you go by your three day routine. I wish I could go back to those days and eat burritos and all the other good junk!
                Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
                Bob Seger

Comment

This is very individual. Some people must do daily, or have accidents. Many can do every other day just fine. Those who do 3X/ week often do so because of when they have attendant care available, or to work around work and school schedules. Not recommended to go beyond 2X/week though, as this will put you at much higher risk for both accidents and constipation/impaction.

The SCI-Nurse above wrote a typo of Andrew meaning "and you". The reflex she is referring to is actually called the gastrocolic reflex, and is when your stomach starts to move food into the small intestine, resulting in a reflexive increase of peristalsis of 2-3X the rate when the bowel is at rest. This is triggered best by foods with some fat content, and also hot liquids (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.).

(KLD)

Comment

I've realized something post 13 years of dealing with this - whenever I go every other day, and I don't overeat, I almost never have accidents, like ever - (rectal suppository, no lax, or fibre substitutes). When I do it daily, I can't get enough food to have a fast / enough movement. 2 days is the sweet spot. It also helps with watching my weight because when I do it every other day, i need to control what and how much I eat. When I was on Keto + IF, I would no way get enough food for daily BP, and I'd have a quicker BP the next day (60-75min as opposed to 90+mins)
                    Keep pushing!

Comment

For a long time I did it twice weekly, Wednesday eve and Saturday morning (3 1/2 days). If I went every 3 days, I would loose count!
                      Then I got a colostomy 9 years ago.
                      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                      NW NJ

Comment

My spasticity gets difficult if I do not do it every day.

Comment

Thanks for the good and for everyone. Typically I go every third day but then just recently I didn’t go for a week since I believe a new medication was constipating me, still at the same time as feeling fine without any dysreflexia symptoms.
                          C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

It is common for the bowels to move after the first meal of the period after no eating for at least 6-8 hours-for most this would be breakfast. Best is stool softener to keep stool firm but no hard lumps and then since the area of slowest transit time is the colon-is to use rectal docusate (mini enema 5 mls.) 283 mg AKA Enemeez or Magic Bullet Bisacodyl which is a chemical irritant laxative. Enemeez is more natural and no mucous of bowels formed. The colon should be emptied by the rectal Med-not the med by mouth-to prevent accidents. I recommend daily-dig stim after mini enema or bullet to move further in to the colon. if nothing in the colon, then ok. Too many have hard lumpy stool and some like hard tennis balls. The consistency of the stool is important. Best to describe using Bristol Stool Scale. 4 ir Milky Way can consistency usually best. CWO

Comment

Working...
                            X