Out of state surgeon insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of state surgeon insurance

This is probably the wrong place to post this but if I can't find a colorectal surgeon in my state to do my colostomy surgery, but just across the border there is a colorectal surgeon and the hospital has an ostomy department with certified nurses, will my medicare and medicaid pay for the out of state procedures?

The only hospital that has colorectal surgeons near me in my state is the hospital that I have filed a compliant with.

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    This is probably the wrong place to post this but if I can't find a colorectal surgeon in my state to do my colostomy surgery, but just across the border there is a colorectal surgeon and the hospital has an ostomy department with certified nurses, will my medicare and medicaid pay for the out of state procedures?

The only hospital that has colorectal surgeons near me in my state is the hospital that I have filed a compliant with.
    I don't think there would be any problem with Medicare because it is a Federal program.
    Medicaid is a State / Federal match program so you might want to check with your State Medicaid or caseworker if you have one.

Also, check with the hospital perhaps? Can start with the colorectal surgeon and see if that insurance arrangement works for them.
    Good luck.

Comment

• Oddity
      Oddity commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right about Medicare. The Medicare provider network is nationwide. That doesn't mean any given provider in the country will accept Medicare, just that there are no regional restrictions for choosing a provider. Medicare members can go anywhere they can find a participating provider.

Medicare A pays for hospitalization
    you would need to contact the surgeon on what they accept in terms of Medicare/ Medicaid for their reimbursement
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I called the colorectal surgeons office and she does accept my insurance and aside from the surgeon that I was originally referred to, she's the only other colorectal surgeon in my area. She is accepting new patients and the hospital she is in also has a wound and ostomy department with certified staff so things look good if my GI will refer me to her. Fingers crossed for this coming Monday.

Comment

I'm crossing my fingers for you, too. Hope this takes place without any problems whatsoever.
        MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

• Scott C4/5
          Scott C4/5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, me too. This will simplify my daily routine and make life easier on my family and caregivers.
      Working...
      X