Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to prevent imminent pneumonia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do to prevent imminent pneumonia?

I have had aspiration pneumonia three different times. I am still NPO, swallowing only thick liquids by teaspoon, although I think I’m ready to have my swallowing test scheduled for next month. I got a new saline nose spray, and last night my caregiver forgot to mist it and poured it into one of my mouse, and it ran immediately down my throat. It failed to occur to me to sit up, but I coughed it out as best I could lying down. I taste the thick stuff in my mouth and feel it in my chest this morning, although I no longer have the impulse to cough. That of course has been one of my major problems, although improving.

I also lost my voice a few times last night, as has been the case with the pneumonia, and I’ve had to work to recover it a few times this morning, although once I do it is strong and clear, which I only really got back within the last few weeks.

Why can I do to prevent pneumonia?
    Last edited by Random; 4 Aug 2021, 8:20 AM.

Wow I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles.
    It would help if I had a little more information about your current level of injury? and any other medical conditions?

I'm glad you are getting swallow studies. That will help understand what is going on which your gag reflex - cough reflex etc.

Aspiration pneumonia is common to recur once it has happened - and you've had it three times.

more information will help you

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

How close in time were those 3 pneumonias?

Do they know why you are aspirating?

Have you seen a pulmonologist and an ENT for recommendations?

Do you also have any problems with your immune system or diabetes?

Do you have an underlying lung disease or lung damage contributing to your increased risk of pneumonias?

Are you doing Swallowing therapy (Speech and Swallow therapists can come to the home) to get instructions on how to avoid aspirating? Do you follow them religiously? Do you do the exercises they gave you?

My Dad is also prone to aspiration pneumonias, both from swallowing difficulties and from reflux. To help decrease his chance of pneumonias, these things have helped him...

Don't aspirate - follow all of their directions. Do Speech and Swallow PT. Get advice from ENT and Pulmonology.

If you have an immune system problem, get it treated.

Improve your breathing and cough. Use an incentive spirometer or Breather device daily.

When you get up in the morning, get that junk out of your lungs that settled in the night. Look breathe in over 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out over 5 seconds. Repeat 5 times. Then HUFF that junk up. Look up HUFFING online or ask your doctors.

Instead of lying down, sit up when you can. Better for your lungs.

Can you stand with assistance? Also great for your lungs.

Can you do tummy time? Look up the breathing exercises recommended for recovering from COVID that help mobilize sputum from your lungs and improve air filling all of your lung space.

Can you do any cardio exercise? Try to do it 3x per week. Can you do any weight training? Try to do it 2x per week.

Mucinex. Hydrate well.

Cough the junk UP!

Comment

Improve your breathing and cough. Use an incentive spirometer or Breather device daily.

When you get up in the morning, get that junk out of your lungs that settled in the night. Look breathe in over 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out over 5 seconds. Repeat 5 times. Then HUFF that junk up. Look up HUFFING online or ask your doctors.

In additon to the great advice for breathing exercises, please try to beath through your nose all the time. Nose is a great filter for our bodies. If you are a mouth breather, you are basically taking out your lungs and exposing them to everything around you. Try to sleep through nose instead of mouth.

Comment

Nose breathing

Your nose is designed to help you breathe safely, efficiently, and properly. It can do this due to its ability to:
          • Filter out foreign particles. Nasal hair filters out dust, allergens, and pollen, which helps prevent them from entering your lungs.
          • Humidify inhaled air. Your nose warms and moisturizes the air you breathe in. This brings the air you inhale to body temperature, making it easier for your lungs to use.
          • Produce nitric oxide. During nasal breathing, your nose releases nitric oxide (NO). NO is a vasodilator, which means it helps to widen blood vessels. This can help improve oxygen circulation in your body.

Comment

I wrote a few times abut breathing through nose and the tons of benefits. Nobody even read it.

All humans create nitric oxide when breathing through nose. Three scientist received a Nobel Price in the 1998.

I n 1998, The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded jointly to Robert F. Furchgott, Louis J. Ignarro and Ferid Murad. The title of the Nobel Prize was “Nitric Oxide as a Unique Signaling Molecule in the Cardiovascular System.” Today, it is recognized that NO is a widespread signaling molecule in all organs of the body, not only the cardiovascular system. Their contributions to the understanding of this gas and its effect on the human body are of major importance in our understanding of the regulation or our bodily systems and of ultimate health.

Comment

• miltongm09
              miltongm09 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with you completely scimike. Would suggest breathwork daily to help improve anyone's health. Would think it would benefit someone susceptible to pneumonia. I have found numerous health benefits to daily breathwork. I have found it helps with anxiety and digestion. It can be used as a meditative technique which is very relaxing.

Here is an NIH study done on nasal beathing advantages in 2020

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7200356/

Comment

We all harm ourselves when we breathe through our mouths.

Comment

Working...
              X