Coagulase negative staphylococci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coagulase negative staphylococci

Has anyone ever had a UTI with this bacteria and how were you treated (I have an indwelling catheter)? My lab results simply came back with the comment - this organism is not normally a urinary pathogen. My doctor has sent a request to the microbiologist to do further work up, at least I hope he has.

A sensitivity test is needed to identify the best treatment, but if it is colonization and you don't have signs/symptoms of a true UTI it generally should not be treated. Bacteria like this is often detected in the urine of people with SCI/D and a neurogenic bladder, and the lab should have run the sensitivity anyway, as long as you properly collected the specimen.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

If you have symptoms of a UTI, make sure when you drop off the sample that you tell the lab that the sample is from a patient with an indwelling catheter and that they should always do sensitivities of any organism they find that grows significantly ( eg. >10-20,000 cfu). Also, if they find two organisms, they should also check sensitivities for both bugs.

The bug that grew in your urine is not a typical cause of UTIs in folks who aren't SCI, and can just be a contaminant from the skin. So a typical lab will not bother to do the full work-up on it unless you tell them you have a catheter/neurogenic bladder and this is a bug that could give you a UTI so they need to work it up.

So just wait for the results of the sensitivities to decide how to treat it. I don't think that bug tends to be very resistant, so just talk with your doctor about what antibiotic to use now if your symptoms are so bad you can't wait for the results to come back.

My Dad's doctors write on the Urine culture prescription "Always check sensitivities", and I remind the lab when I drop off the sample. They still make mistakes and don't always do sensitivities when they should, so I always call the lab a day or two after dropping off the culture to make sure it is processed correctly.

Comment

Thanks yes sensitivities were ordered but the lab chose to ignore the request even though indwelling catheter was noted on the requisition. That is good advice to get the doctor to write always check sensitivities - indwelling catheter was noted. I’ve never had this bug before but most of my sci life was condom drainage, an indwelling catheter is fairly new to me.
        I’m not feeling well, my doctor was talking about keflex or cipro but I was hoping to hold off at least until the sensitivity was in.
        Last edited by beckman; 9 Jun 2021, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beckman View Post
          Thanks yes sensitivities were ordered but the lab chose to ignore the request even though indwelling catheter was noted on the requisition. That is good advice to get the doctor to write always check sensitivities - indwelling catheter was noted. I’ve never had this bug before but most of my sci life was condom drainage, an indwelling catheter is fairly new to me.
          I’m not feeling well, my doctor was talking about keflex or cipro but I was hoping to hold off at least until the sensitivity was in.

Good luck. Keep an eye on your temperature, hydrate well and see if you can hold out for the sensitivities but don't risk your health if you feel really bad. Call your doc tomorrow early for the results or it will be a long unpleasant weekend.

My Dad has very resistant bugs when he gets UTIs these days, so to avoid becoming like him, and use the most simple antibiotic you can. That would be keflex before cipro. Nitrofurantoin or Bactrim would be even better, if you aren't allergic to them and the bug is sensitive.

Comment

Working...
          X