Indwelling Foley Catheter Expiration Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indwelling Foley Catheter Expiration Date

I'm a Cervical 4/5 quadriplegic. My bladder management is typically intermittent urinary catheterization. If traveling or for social events, I will from time to time utilize a indwelling Foley catheter (for convenience). My question was is there truly an expiration date for a Foley catheter? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Is it a latex catheter? Latex will breakdown with time, and could lead to balloon failure if it is well past the expiration day. Otherwise, the expiration date has to do primarily with assurance that the catheter is still sterile. Under what conditions has the catheter been stored?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• tinern
      tinern commented
      Editing a comment
      They are latex and are individually wrapped and sealed.

How old are they? How expired? Stored in a hot environment? Stored folded or laid flat?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• tinern
      tinern commented
      Editing a comment
      They are five years old and had been stored in a bedroom closet, laying flat.

5 years from the expiration date I would be extremely concerned that latex catheters, especially the balloon would be defective at this point. I wouldn't risk it. Get a new prescription; your insurance should cover it.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
    X