Rectal bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectal bleeding

This has been very disturbing it has been a month i feel cramps and last days when doing my bowel program i have noticed bright red blood with my stool.
    It looks too much to be a tear
    I am missing fiber in my diet and also dont drink a lot
    Bowel program : every day glicerine suppository, digital stimulation to finish
    Questions :
    How much is too much to get controled ?
    Which doctor should i go see ?
    should i continue my routine or should i make a pause ?
    Questions :
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 7 Jun 2021, 3:26 PM.

Questions :

Comment

Sounds like bleeding hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are very common in those with SCI/D. Bright red blood is almost always due to hemorrhoids, rather than more dire bowel problems such as bowel cancer.

Hard stools and digital stimulation are major factors in their development. If you have less than a teaspoon of blood during bowel care, and no bleeding in between, and they are not causing you AD, then you can just watch them, and soften up your stool with increase dietary fiber, more water in your diet, and a stool softener like Colace (DSS, docusate sodium). You should be getting 30 gm. dietary fiber a day, and drink at least 2.5 liters of water daily.

If you have external hemorrhoids that are inflammed and causing pain or AD, use of a hemorrhoid ointment or a witch-hazel poultice after bowel care can help reduce the swelling, but will not cure the hemorrhoid.

If there is excessive bleeding, or bleeding between bowel care, or you are getting AD from your hemorrhoids, you should see a gastro-intestinal surgeon or proctologist, who will probably want to do a sigmoidoscopy to see if your hemorrhoids are internal, external, or both. If they require treatment, most can be managed with a procedure where they apply rubber bands to the hemorrhoid, which dies and falls off, or sclerosing injections (which scar the hemorrhoid and stop it bleeding). Sometimes surgery is needed to treat internal hemorrhoids.

Unfortunately, due to the need to continue with the procedures used for bowel care for those with SCI/D, hemorrhoids frequently re-occur and may need to be re-treated as above, periodically.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
      X