• Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTSD, Depression, Spinal Cord Injury and the Psychedelic Renaissance

"Most persons with spinal cord injury are at risk for developing PTSD."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3584775/

Multidisciplinary Association For Psychedelic Studies
    https://maps.org/research

I can confidently say that therapeutically using psychedelics has changed my life in many positive ways. Over the last 12 months or so, I've cut my pain meds in half and significantly improved my overall perspective on life. But, honestly, I lack the vocabulary to describe the overall impact. So, I thought I would share a couple of links and some brief thoughts.

Please don't take this post as a full-on endorsement for everyone. Of course, there are risks, especially for those of us with significant physical challenges. But, at the same time, I believe with proper safety planning, most of those are manageable.

Because of my experiences, I joined a peer support line called Fireside Project https://firesideproject.org/. They focus on helping people navigate psychedelic experiences during and after.

Here's an interesting article about Fireside Project
    https://chacruna.net/fireside-projec...mergency-room/

At the very least, I would encourage you to follow the research being conducted. I believe the results are fascinating.
    Just thought I would share. I hope that each of you is doing as well as can be expected.
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

I, for one, would be very interested to hear your personal experience as well… or as much as you’re willing to disclose on an Internet forum…

Comment

I would just caution people here that use of psychedelics for mental health problems is not a do-it-yourself project, but may be very helpful for some in a medically supervised program.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
        I, for one, would be very interested to hear your personal experience as well… or as much as you’re willing to disclose on an Internet forum…
        While I don’t want to invite trouble, I’m not terribly concerned about this being on the Internet. The prohibition of psychedelics is crumbling as science delves deeper. Like marijuana’s “reefer madness,” the bogeyman is nearing retirement. But, I have difficulty putting my experience into words. I found a book by Michael Pollan titled “How to Change Your Mind: What The New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence” to be very helpful. His methodical approach and overall experience resonate well with my own.

I’ve tried to attach an excerpt. I hope this helps.

How_to_Change_Your_Mind_excerpt (002).pdf
        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          I would just caution people here that use of psychedelics for mental health problems is not a do-it-yourself project, but may be very helpful for some in a medically supervised program.

(KLD)
          I would agree with you depending on how you define “mental health problem,” “do-it-yourself,” and “medically supervised.” These meds have been used for thousands of years responsibly in safe settings and with peer support. When you consider the costs of licensed therapy and full legalization 15 years away, do-it-yourself may be the only viable option for some.

We agree that many mental health issues require professional care, and others are served best with proper guidance. So, please don’t take my post as being difficult or disrespectful.
          Jason

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Do-it-yourself use of psychedelics should be avoided. You are surely not promoting illegal possession of such drugs for our members, are you? Legitimate programs and research studies using psychedelics to treat conditions such as PTSD exist, and assure safe use with supervision, and provide legal drugs. We do not condone do-it-yourself drug therapy for any condition on these forums. Posts that promote this will be removed. (KLD)

• jeft
            jeft commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose I do need to watch my opinion sharing. My apologies. My only goal is to encourage awareness and open-mindedness. Legitimate programs and studies do exist. I hope that my comments don’t warrant removing information provided by MAPS or free peer support services. Even with legitimate programs, integration after the fact is often lacking or costly. Regardless, I’ll try to double-check my future comments before posting.

Just a word of warning, I’m a C4/C5 quad (28 years) and took my first micro dose of psilocybin “magic” mushrooms, just a couple months ago. I had High hopes for the positive mental effects being promoted, however I ended up with the worst muscle tone and spasms that lasted 2.5 hours. Every muscle below my level of injury locked up and twitched and shook. I mean EVERY muscle. Nearly an hour after taking them, It started with My hands clamping shut and my wrists flexing back. It was mild at first and weirded me out, I didn’t even connect it to The mushrooms right away… I thought something else was going wrong. Soon my triceps were twitching, my arms were trying to straighten, I couldn’t drive my chair. Then my legs and feet started dancing and abdomen was going crazy. It came in increasingly stronger and more frequent waves, peaking at every few mins. I also had some dysreflexia from it. It’s was an awful experience not to mention disappointing.

I had read lots on mushrooms and watched videos and podcasts, but for some reason didn’t think to research SCI and Psilocybin. I did afterwards and apparently it’s a very common side effect with SCI and many psychedelics. I couldn’t find a lot of user experiences, but the dozen or so I did find ALL reported the same things. Some chose to power through the annoyance and discomfort of the spasticity but they were also paras without the risk of AD. I did read somewhere that psilocybin can have stimulating effect on the bladder, potentially the source of the AD.

im glad I started very small, and wish I did the extra research. It’s not worth trying again for me.

just make sure you know the potential risks and do your own research. Also, Low and slow!

Comment

Go figure!
            Just another attractive thing to suffer deprivation of!

I've been watching the reports of PTSD therapy using hallucinogens and it looks profoundly transformative in healthy ways.
            I used several of them in my "formative" years (early 20s) and they certainly get your attention............for like 24 hours, like it on not!
            I wonder what the experience of 50 years more of evolution would have brought me? .......and I'm not resigned just yet.
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

• jeft
              jeft commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s more than frustrating to know that this may be just out of reach for you. Prohibition leaves many suffering needlessly. In my experience, they are profoundly transformative. I can get ketamine therapy at a local pain clinic, but it’s around $1500. Several services are popping up offering treatment remotely. But, availability depends on where you live. I don’t know anything about these people, but maybe worth checking out. https://www.mindbloom.com/

list of eligible states https://mindbloom-faq.helpscoutdocs....loom-available

thanks, Jeff
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

From my many years of being on SCI forums I've noted numerous reports of people suffering severe spasticity or spasms while using psychedelics. I consider it to be a highly likely side-effect. Younger males who reported this often said they would do it again anyway. Just a risk to be aware of.

Comment

Here’s a link to an MDMA clinical trial application for anyone interested.
                https://mdmaptsd.org/
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                X