New Overactive Bladder Medication Gemtesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Overactive Bladder Medication Gemtesa

My doc just gave me samples of Gemtesa, used for overactive bladder. The drug co did not find the hypertension side effect of its competitor, Myrbetric in its clinical trials. I have been using Toviaz 8 mg daily for about eight years, any my urologist told me I should try Gemtesa. Has anyone else out there tried it, or heard anything about it to share with the community? Thanks much

I hadn't heard but am going to ask. After going on Mybetric (to avoid cognitive issues related to long term Oxybutinin) I also had to be put on hypertension meds. I'd love to get back to just one pill. I'm going for Botox next week though so I won't need any of it after. But good to know for the future. (I can't do Botox regularly enough for it to be my permanent solution. I just do it a couple times a year.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

How likely is a person to develop hypertension by using Myrbetric?

Comment

From studies done on Myrbetriq related to blood pressure (citations from the manufacturer's official drug insert information sheet required by the FDA):

Effects on Blood PressureIn a study of 352 healthy subjects assessing the effect of multiple daily doses of 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg (four times the maximum recommended dose) of mirabegron for 10 days on the QTc interval, the maximum mean increase in supine systolic blood pressure (SBP)/diastolic blood pressure (DBP) at the maximum recommended dose of 50 mg was approximately 4.0/1.6 mm Hg greater than placebo [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. The 24-hour average increases in SBP compared to placebo were 3.0, 5.5, and 9.7 mm Hg at mirabegron doses of 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg, respectively. Increases in DBP were also dose-dependent, but were smaller than SBP.

In another study in 96 healthy subjects to assess the impact of age on pharmacokinetics of multiple daily doses of 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg, and 300 mg (six times the maximum recommended dose) of mirabegron for 10 days, SBP also increased in a dose-dependent manner. The mean maximum increases in SBP were approximately 2.5, 4.5, 5.5, and 6.5 mm Hg for mirabegron exposures associated with doses of 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg, and 300 mg, respectively.

In three, 12-
        week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, safety and efficacy studies (Studies 1, 2, and 3) in patients with OAB receiving mirabegron 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg (two times the maximum recommended dose) once daily, mean increases in SBP/DBP compared to placebo of approximately 0.5 – 1 mm Hg were observed. Morning SBP increased by at least 15 mm Hg from baseline in 5.3%, 5.1%, and 6.7% of placebo, mirabegron 25 mg and mirabegron 50 mg patients, respectively. Morning DBP increased by at least 10 mm Hg in 4.6%, 4.1%, and 6.6% of placebo, mirabegron 25 mg, and mirabegron 50 mg patients, respectively. Both SBP and DBP increases were reversible upon discontinuation of treatment.In a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, safety and efficacy study (Study 6) in patients with OAB receiving mirabegron 25 mg or 50 mg once daily coadministered with solifenacin succinate 5 mg, no consistent differences in 24-hour mean SBP/DBP were observed compared to placebo, mirabegron or solifenacin succinate monotherapy as assessed with 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM). Similar frequencies of categorical changes were observed for combination treatment versus placebo in 24-hour mean SBP/DBP.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I haven’t used Gemtesa And haven’t heard of it but I’m going to look into trying it. Anyone have experience using it it did it help?
          C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

I have no experience with this drug yet. That being said, I woulld be cautious with it if you already have BP issues. I would also check with your rologist to see if they have had any patients with this potential side effect. And, you could run it by your PCP. The way each individual reacts to a drug can be different. I try to keep in imnd that no drug has 100% efficacy without having potential side effects. You and your PCP need to weigh th risks and benefits and then make a decision.

ckf
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by C5C6 View Post
              How likely is a person to develop hypertension by using Myrbetric?
              Well for me, with chronically low blood pressure (hypotension) that side effect is not an issue at all and may even help with the hypotension.

I've been taking myrbetriq for several years now. No issues with high blood pressure.
              And it works quite well.

Given that the other alternatives have been linked to cognitive decline and dementia
              - no thanks -
              despite the fact that mybetric is very expensive and insurance is not much help.

It's good to see a competitor and though it looks to be equally expensive right now maybe the competition will bring prices down.

Jeff
              Doh!

Comment

I just started Gemtesa Last night. Hopefully it helps as I have a lot of bladder spasms that are quite painful. It’s to the point now where I may have a bladder diversion or urostomy due to the pain. Of course I don’t want to have the surgery
                C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
                X