Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crags
    replied
    The sphincterotomy is no longer even needed anymore. Luckily, things are still tight enough that I don't leak through the penis. I catheterized through an umbilical stoma which going on for 13 years now has its pluses and minuses. No bag, no condom catheter are pluses. Overactive bladder, voiding through the stoma, lots of mucus clogging up the catheter, having to catheterize during the night, still have infections, tremendous problems when I need to have an indwelling, wrist and hand damage due to quad cath technique are some of the negatives. In addition to trying to stay clean especially when in public.

I know I could not have handled this in shirt and tie business clothes in a public bathroom when I was working.

Leave a comment:

• handiman
    replied
    Originally posted by crags View Post
    I have a bladder augmentation now, but previously had two sphincterotomies, after which I had to use indwelling catheters of both types on multiple occasions. I didn't experience a troublesome amount, if any, leakage around the catheter. I guess would also depend upon the extent of the sphincterotomy, whether it was moderate resection or a major one which really opened up the sphincter, which may prevent it from "sealing" around the catheter. Additionally, this shouldn't be too much pressure to push urine out of the bladder since it is being kept empty by the indwelling, though the presence of an indwelling in many can cause bladder spasm which may push urine out around the catheter. Should this be the case, you may need to go on the appropriate medication to quiet down the bladder or possibly even consider Botox to keep it quiet. Once you are on an indwelling, you no longer need bladder contractions.
    Hello Crags can you tell me how you manage your bladder now. Is the sphincterotomy.
    still working for you.

Leave a comment:

• handiman
    replied
    Thank you for the info.

Leave a comment:

• SCI-Nurse
    replied
    They might have to do a closure or if not it will leak out. They usually do urodynamics to determine. CWO

Leave a comment:

• crags
    replied
    I have a bladder augmentation now, but previously had two sphincterotomies, after which I had to use indwelling catheters of both types on multiple occasions. I didn't experience a troublesome amount, if any, leakage around the catheter. I guess would also depend upon the extent of the sphincterotomy, whether it was moderate resection or a major one which really opened up the sphincter, which may prevent it from "sealing" around the catheter. Additionally, this shouldn't be too much pressure to push urine out of the bladder since it is being kept empty by the indwelling, though the presence of an indwelling in many can cause bladder spasm which may push urine out around the catheter. Should this be the case, you may need to go on the appropriate medication to quiet down the bladder or possibly even consider Botox to keep it quiet. Once you are on an indwelling, you no longer need bladder contractions.

Leave a comment:

• handiman
    started a topic Sphincterotomy to indwelling.

Sphincterotomy to indwelling.

Hello are there any people on here that went from a sphincterotomy to a urethral or suprapubic indwelling catheter. Was there any leakage from the catheter and how about uti<s. How did you manage. Thanks....
Working...
X