No announcement yet.

Bowel Program Issues & Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I’ve had a bowel movement what’s the best approach to getting things more regular and having a BM every day to every other day? I know having enough dietary fiber is important. I increased collace from 2 at bedtime, to 4..2 and a.m. and 2 in the p.m.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

How many mg. of Colace? 1000 mg. daily is really the max. dose.
      How much dietary fiber? 30 gm. daily is advisable.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Right now I am on 400 ML of Colace and around 20 gm Or so of dietary fiber. I don’t want things to slow down again so if you days go by between bowel movements. Should I consider MiraLAX to help another bowel movement? Would you suggest going up on the Colace?

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you mean mg. of Colace? There is a Colace liquid, but 400 ml. would be a whole bottle. If your stool is too hard, then increase the Colace to 1000mg. daily. It does NOT increase motility nor soften already hard stool; not a stimulant nor a laxative. Increasing your dietary fiber to 30 mg. daily would help both in keeping your stool softer and increasing peristalsis.

Avoid using Miralax or other osmotic laxatives except on an as-needed basis for episodes of constipation. If your transit time is slow (more than 72 hours), consider using an oral stimulant such as senna or bisacodyl tablets.

(KLD)

Yes I meant 400 mg of collace! Oops. I’m 2 capsules in the morning & 2 at night. I am working on increasing my dietary fiber. Made the mistake of getting away from having enough fiber in my diet. Thanks for the good information KLD

Just curious as to why it’s better to take senna or bisacodyl tablets rather than miralax if motility is slow, more than 72 hours?

Comment

Osmotic laxatives don't increase peristalsis. They work by pulling water from your body into the stool, making it more runny. Stimulants increase peristalsis, so move the stool along faster through the gut.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I know the goal is to have enough dietary fiber and collace to a bm w/out the need for senna but is there any harmful effects from using senna on a regular basis? Seems quite a few members of the forum do...

Comment

Senna is best used on an occasional/prn basis. Along with other stimulants, routine long term used is associated with the development of obstructive megacolon in some people.

(KLD)

Comment

In the late 80s, they built a rehab center nearby and the doctor became a good friend over the years. Remember him telling me one time to "shut up and listen you will learn something." And he gave me a 20 minute dissertation about upper, lower and middle bowel function, including peristalsis, motility, and more than I can ever imagine or remember now.

Reading posts on this site make me realize I'm blessed to have a relatively good bowel experience.

Have had my horror stories, but in my humble opinion, regularity is paramount. They are other problems and nuances, etc. but doing it every other day, every day, or what ever, just keep to the rhythm.

Now that they have MiraLAX, titrate according to the consistency of my last bowel movement. For 40 years used a bicuspid suppository every other day in the morning and rarely require any digital stimulation. It always seems to be a two cycle movement, go, and then will go again and be done.

40 years later, it doesn't work as fast, but it's basically the same system, just hard to get the suppository inserted and cleaned up because of the stretching needed.

However consistency and not skipping it, etc. is key, got to keep the rhythm.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                  SCI-Nurse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BISACODYL suppository? (KLD)

Right now I’m taking 400 MG of Colace. Should I increase some until I am having a BM every other day? Also been working on having more dietary fiber. And by dietary fiber you mean from food not from things like fiber supplements (benafiber or fiber gummies) right?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                  SCI-Nurse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Again, base how much Colace you take on how firm/hard your stool is, not how often you have a bowel movement. It does NOT increase peristalsis. It should also be taken routinely, not "as needed".
                  Dietary fiber is best; psyllium is next best. (KLD)
              Working...
              X