Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often to change indwelling Foley catheters (not?SP)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often to change indwelling Foley catheters (not?SP)?

Hello everyone,
    Just a quick question for those using indwelling Foley catheters (not SP), how often do you change them and put in a new catheter? I just started having to wear an indwelling catheter all the time, 24/7, a little over a week ago. I've read it can be anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks between catheter changes but it seems most people change them approximately every two weeks.

I'm assuming the longer the catheter is left in, the greater the persons chance of getting a UTI, is that true? Anyone out there leave the catheter in much over 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance for any info/tips you can provide!

Dan G. in CT
    Dan G. in CT

My Dad started using a uretheral foley (not SP) last year. His urologist said most people change it every month, but people who get more UTIs like my Dad might change it more often. Right now he changes it every 2 weeks or so. He pushes it until his urine starts to get really nasty (thick sediment, smelling awful), and then changes it.

Comment

oops
      Last edited by hlh; 20 Jan 2021, 11:13 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Every 30 days it should be changed. If sediment becomes a problem you can always flush. We flush twice a day.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, there is no scientific rational for changing an indwelling catheter every 30 days, although it is a common practice. Routine irrigation or "flushing" also significantly increases the risks for developing urinary tract infections, and should be avoided. Reserve flushing only for times when the catheter is clogged with sediment or blood clots. (KLD)

Originally posted by Macaroonxo View Post
        Every 30 days it should be changed. If sediment becomes a problem you can always flush. We flush twice a day.
        Thank you! I was told otherwise so I’m glad you brought this to my attention !!!

Comment

AS KLD said, There is no definitive research to show more often is better except in anecdotal cases- pt. report. so 30 days if no issues, flush only when needed with sterile saline or water. Change to two weeks if frequent, UTI's. If you have frequent UTI's look for other possible causes- bladder/kidney stones, prostatitis, but they believe the infection is in the bladder wall which is most likely not changed by taking out and reinserting catheter.
          CWO
          Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 23 Feb 2021, 4:06 AM.
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
          X