Attention fellow suprapubic users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention fellow suprapubic users

Questions, what size catheters do you use? I use a 16fr to change my tube every 4 weeks and it was always fine, however my sediment is gotten a lot thicker over this past year abs I keep having accidents and need to change my tube about every 2 weeks now. Was wondering if a bigger tube would help the sediment pass through easier? I never used to have accidents like this or need to change this often!

Do you know what the sediment is made of? It might be helpful to have an analysis of it. In the meantime, have you changed the amount or type of fluids that you are drinking? Your diet? Any change in medications?

Going to a larger tube is not necessarily the answer. Finding out why this change has occurred will help to make you less likely to experience it in the future.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Questions, what size catheters do you use? I use a 16fr to change my tube every 4 weeks and it was always fine, however my sediment is gotten a lot thicker over this past year abs I keep having accidents and need to change my tube about every 2 weeks now. Was wondering if a bigger tube would help the sediment pass through easier? I never used to have accidents like this or need to change this often!
      I had the same problem with my suprapubic catheter, 16fr, sediment blockage and need to change it every 2 weeks maximum, and episodes of autonomic dysreflexia (T4/5 complete paraplegia, 33 years of disability). 20 years ago, i made an analysis of the sediment in the lumen of the catheter and came out it was strumvite, the common stone or sediment wich is forming in the bladder from the bacteria and make the urine pH alcaline. by reading i found out that i had to make my urine more acide so the sediment gets dissolved. So, first i changed gradually my cathetrer to 22fr, there are also big epitelial cells from the bladder wall which have to pass, and take L-methionine 500mg 2 times a day for the acidification of the urine. It workes with me. make an analysis and of the sediment discuss with your doctor and if it is strumvite you cane take the same. But if you take this L-methione you have to take folic acid daily because it causes rise of omocysteine, wich is bad for the heart.

Comment

correction, some bacteria make the urine pH alcaline and we need it acidic if our sediment is strumvite

Comment

I would strongly encourage you to find out what the sediment is. You ucan acifidify your urine (lower the pH) but before you go that route, I would check with your physician and see what they would encourage you to do to accomplish this.
          ckf
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

jhm I was on a 3 week schedule for a couple yrs using the silastic catheters from Bard. One month my supplier called to confirm my monthly order and mentioned the Bard catheters were out of stock and suggested a Rusch Gold Silicone. Turns out I get 4-5 weeks between catheter changes with the Rusch. Both are 16f.
            "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
            T5/6 complete

Comment

Three years ago I was using Foley catheter, size 16 French and had a suprapubic procedure. VA urologist installed a 20 French. During the three year span catheter size was increased to 26 French. The larger catheter increased urine flow and nearly stopped sediment. I drink 70 ounces of water daily. My catheter is changed monthly. No UTIs since the suprapubic. Extremely happy bladder, atta boys from Urologist and a personal welcomed sense of well being.
              You C.A.N.
              Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

I've used 24fr for 31 years. Never had a clog. I change it every 4 weeks. There is sediment at times, but I've never irrigated. I rarely get UTI's. I drink lots of water and avoid sugar, dairy, caffeine and alcohol -- they seem to cause UTI's or at least irritate the bladder.
                "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

And flushing might help. Changing the tube /catheter doesn’t do much. Do you drink a lot of water? We had a ID doctor doing research on it but I don’t think results were conclusive. General idea is that the catheter is a foreign body and sloughing of the lining occurs. Changing the pH is worth trying. CWO

Comment

I am writing for my husband. Cranberry pills seemed to cause more sediment for him. When he quit those the sediment wasn't a problem. Good luck figuring it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                      Do you know what the sediment is made of? It might be helpful to have an analysis of it. In the meantime, have you changed the amount or type of fluids that you are drinking? Your diet? Any change in medications?

Going to a larger tube is not necessarily the answer. Finding out why this change has occurred will help to make you less likely to experience it in the future.

ckf
                      I agree with above and also check if you change anything on cleaning of the equipment.

Comment

Working...
                      X