Cracked skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked skin

As you can see in the picture my skin has cracked in between my abdomen in my thigh. I believe this happened from using Zeasob powder. The visiting nurse told me to mix a little bacitracin and desitin and apply a thin coat. So after 3 days it's not better at all. Does anyone have a better idea how I might be able to heal this.
    Attached Files
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

That looks like a problem I've had. Seems that once I'm in the chair the whole area is in a fold in the skin (that gets longer as I gain mass )
    that gets moist and stays moist.
    What I've had great success with is this cream which has an effective anti fungal as well as a steroid.
    https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-2...opical/details
    Good luck! If this cream is your silver bullet, you will heal pretty quickly.

PS: checked your bio and see you're an audiophile. Me too, but I'm one of those practical ones. Finally sold my Krell FPB300 because it's a boat anchor I couldn't lift or deal with and anticipating end game when Big Boy Stereos need to get real small and humble. I replaced the 109lb anchor with a used Carver that I could throw across the room!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
      That looks like a problem I've had. Seems that once I'm in the chair the whole area is in a fold in the skin (that gets longer as I gain mass )
      that gets moist and stays moist.
      What I've had great success with is this cream which has an effective anti fungal as well as a steroid.
      https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-2...opical/details
      Good luck! If this cream is your silver bullet, you will heal pretty quickly.

PS: checked your bio and see you're an audiophile. Me too, but I'm one of those practical ones. Finally sold my Krell FPB300 because it's a boat anchor I couldn't lift or deal with and anticipating end game when Big Boy Stereos need to get real small and humble. I replaced the 109lb anchor with a used Carver that I could throw across the room!
      Again bad timing. I have the betamethasone but just recently threw out clotrimzole. It's because I found out I don't respond that well clotrimazole. When my PCA comes in on a check for another zole I might have in my box.

Being an audiophile I gave up on all the high end stuff along time ago. The best unit I had was the NAD 320 a true classic. I also dabbled into 7 to 1 systems for video worked out very well. There was the jungle scene in the Forest Gump movie the bullets were flying all over the walls and the ceiling. So other than that and I have a very simple system I think these newer D-amps with a separate power supply sounds excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Blue...8-6acff948fa5a
      Bob Seger

Comment

I would use Medihoney Ointment and a foam dressing like Allevyn Non Adhesiveon that. Alternatively, you could use a bismuth impregnated dressing like Xeraform covered with a foam dressing on top.

Once it is healed, then consider using a wicking fabric such as InterDryfolded into the skin folds to keep the area dry and avoid it rubbing together.

(KLD)
        Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 18 Jan 2021, 4:08 AM.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          I would use Medihoney Ointment and a foam dressing like Allevyn Non Adhesiveon that. Alternatively, you could use a bismuth impregnated dressing like Xeraform covered with a foam dressing on top.

Once it is healed, then consider using a wicking fabric such as InterDryfolded into the skin folds to keep the area dry and avoid it rubbing together.

(KLD)
          Thank you I will bring this to the attention of the visiting nurse today. I respond very well to Medihoney.

Bob Seger

Comment

I agree with KLD.
            ckf
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Being an audiophile I gave up on all the high end stuff along time ago. The best unit I had was the NAD 320 a true classic. I also dabbled into 7 to 1 systems for video worked out very well. There was the jungle scene in the Forest Gump movie the bullets were flying all over the walls and the ceiling. So other than that and I have a very simple system I think these newer D-amps with a separate power supply sounds excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Blue...8-6acff948fa5a

I have 3 NAD L40 "receivers", a pair and a spare (racing talk) They weren't expensive, but they also have a CD deck in them and that NAD "hidden power" high headroom stuff going on. One in the kitchen and one in the workshop. Most of my listening actually occurs through these simple systems.

In the basement/stalls (I'm in a converted barn) I have my big boy bucket list stereo and a small work station, where I've been reconditioning Yamaha PX-2 and B&O 8000/8002 tangential tracking decks. I have a pair of those sublime ADS 300 mini-monitors at the bench driven by a class D amp that costs $20 from Parts Express. It is remarkable how competent this little deal is (I paid $100 used for the ADS), driven by a Walkman CD player or, when completed, a turntable with homemade preamp!

Music is a big component of my serenity, whether played on a system or my trumpet!
              My wife sometimes would disagree!

PS: yes, the NAD 320 is a highly regarded vintage unit. There still exists a market for them!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Perhaps instead of hijacking this topic you could talk with the OP via private messages. Thanks! (KLD)

Originally posted by tvot View Post
              As you can see in the picture my skin has cracked in between my abdomen in my thigh. I believe this happened from using Zeasob powder. The visiting nurse told me to mix a little bacitracin and desitin and apply a thin coat. So after 3 days it's not better at all. Does anyone have a better idea how I might be able to heal this.
              I use MICREME ( by Mylan group) anti inflammatory and anti fungal cream to treat and as a preventative.
              It works great.
              Also, should I dare to say, Aloe Vera works as well. The proper Aloe; garden grown variety Aloe Arborrescens.

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?Lat...oe+arborescens

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              I would use Medihoney Ointment and a foam dressing like Allevyn Non Adhesiveon that. (KLD)
              Good old Comvita from the Bay of Plenty.
              Any Manuka honey would sort it out. It's an old remedy as is bee Royal Jelly; the old pressure injury, cut, burn ointment/treatment.
              Last edited by slow_runner; 23 Jan 2021, 7:38 PM.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Plain honey, whether Manuka honey or not, is not sterile, and should not be used on open wounds. Products like Medihoney (made with Manuka honey) have been prepared for use on open wounds and are sterile. (KLD)

Point taken KLD.
              Back in the day that Mrs H used to treat her Son Jessie, such stuff as sterile Royale Jelly or Manuka honey were unknown, much like back in WW1 in the early 1900s where she knew its benefits from.
              I am no medical practitioner, just bush craft of sorts. I did find a bit about honey which goes like this
              "Most bacteria and other microbes cannot grow or reproduce in honey i.e. they are dormant and this is due to antibacterial activity of honey. Various bacteria have been inoculated into aseptically collected honey held at 20?C......... "
              from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2269714/

Comment

Working...
              X