Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with bowel routine, magic bullets not always working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with bowel routine, magic bullets not always working.

In addition to the pressure sore I posted about earlier, I'm also having problems w/ my bowels. I do my bowel routine everyday where I use 2 Magic Bullet suppositories, the whole routine lasts me approximately 3 hours and I have to do lie on my right side in order to do the routine independently. Problem is, I don't always get good results w/ the Magic Bullet suppository even though I take 3 doses (2 rounded tablespoon) of Metamucil a day (2 of those doses are mixed w/two 1/4 doses of Miralax powder). I sometimes have to use the suppository inserter to stimulate my bowels in order to have a BM. This problem started happening much more frequently during the past couple of months. Anyone else in the group experience this w/ the Magic Bullets? Where they don't always work right away? I used to get results 90% of the time I used the Magic Bullets, approximately 30 mins. after inserting them. Not So Much Anymore.

I'm wondering if it's because the magic bullets aren't as strong as the used to be or because of my worsening SCI (I have a tethered cord). Because my bowel routine has gotten much more difficult lately & because of the pressure sore (mentioned in earlier post), I'm thinking of doing the routine every other day instead of every day. FYI, I do it everyday to prevent bowel accidents. It's been many years since I've had an accident but I'm still very reluctant to switch to an every-other-day schedule. How often do you all do your bowel routine, every day or every other day? More? If you use magic bullets, have you noticed they haven't been working as well lately?

Also, to make the bowel routine less of a hassle, and to switch to a every other day schedule, I was thinking of drinking a meal replacement drink such as Ensure Plus for my dinner rather than the wrap sandwich I usually have. Anyone else in the group use meal replacement drink? Are there any you can recommend?

Any other advice you can give on how to make the bowel routine easier? FYI, my current diet is listed below. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

morning snack@8 AM: half sliced apple, 2-3 dried prunes & half cup dry Cheerios.
    Breakfast@11 AM: 2 frozen waffles or pancakes w/2 breakfast sausage. 1 cup coffee.
    Lunch@noon: 12 oz cup of water w/2 tblspns of Metamucil.
    Also, late afternoon snack of oatmeal cookie or a few bites of ice cream.
    Dinner,@5 PM: Wrap sandwich of salami & cheese w/mustard or turkey breast & cheese along w/a side of baked beans, sweet peas or some canned vegetable.

Dan G.
    Dan G. in CT

There can be changes in bowels and is not unusual. Do not change to every other day. I don't prescribe any bulk laxative such as Metamucil unless your bowels are loose because of the need for high intake of water and majority have slow transit time which results in a harder stool. I would continue using the Miralax and you might consider using Enemeez ( mini-enema) instead of the Magic Bullet. It is 5 mls. ( 1 tsp) of a more natural product. It does not cause chemical irritation which is how the Magic Bullet works. You can get free samples by contacting Enemeez on website www.enemeez.com.Some say it works so much faster than the magic bullet. And of course make sure you drinking enough water and fiber in diet.

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Keep skin on apple? Apple is good but with the skin on even better fiber- just like potatoes. I would recommend some green on your sandwich- Dark green lettuce, if possible or a variety of lettuce, or fresh spinach. Cabbage slaw is a substitution but may cause gas. I love a couple of leaves of fresh spinach on my salami and cheese sandwich with mustard of course. I also like spinach on pizza. And I hate(d ) spinach.
      CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

In the past couple of years I've added lots of nuts to my diet and it has helped my BP tremendously.

I now buy several trail mixes from Costco (lots cheaper) as well as different types of nuts.

Peanuts work well
        Walnuts almost work too well so i've learned to limit them somewhat.

I went from a 4-5 day frequency to every other day or two.

Jeff
        Doh!

Comment

Working...
        X