COVID-19 vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 vaccine

I’m a c3/4/5 sci. Thankfully, I was able to get my 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. I just thought I’d let other cervical sci peers know that I’ve not experienced any side effect except a sore arm close to the injection site. I’ll update if there’s any changes...and after my 2nd injection on day 21.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Everyone should get as soon as possible. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Isn't there a pecking order as far as those who qualify to go first? Where do people with spinal cord injuries fall in this order if they are under 65 and they are not a healthcare provider? What type of proof do we need to provide? Do you need a doctors note?

I'm in New York. Not sure if this varies state to state in the US?
      "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

• KyleP2112
        KyleP2112 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll post more below but New York State just opened phase 1B of their rollout program on January 11 and don’t anticipate vaccinating all 3.2 million or so people in this category until early April. I did read that CDC guidance sent to NYS people such as ourselves with pre-existing conditions or underlying medical conditions could fit into phase 1C. I really really hope we don’t have to wait till April for a vaccine, undoubtedly some of us may not be Around by then.…

here in Fl it appears to be go sit in your car for a couple of days waiting in line.

Comment

Every state is different. Check the Department of Public Health website for your state, and follow the links for the COVID vaccine.

Comment

If you have respiratory compromise, hypertension w or wo AD, diabetes, heart problems you are army a higher priority level but some are strictly sticking with over 65. Mostly because of computer showing person is over 65 and no decision making made. You need to try and talk with a coordinator to get it sooner. So tetras and high paras. But I think more are being rolled out and not saving booster dose! Several nurses have described the next day or two of feeling tired, achy so ibuprofen ir Tylenol should help.CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'm down here in Florida and I have not heard when I can get mine as a quad our idiot governor does things differently down here my doctor still hasn't heard when her office will have the vaccine.
            As soon as I can get it I certainly will though. The downside my wife is younger and no pre-existing conditions so she will be the last in line to get it so we will still need to be very safe
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

My PCP finally told me they didn’t know when or if they will get a supply but gave me number for another group in their system so got an appointment in 2 weeks but husband is older and has health conditions. I wouldn’t wait for your PCP. Pharmacies hopefully will be giving once finished with nursing home folks. Even after you get vaccine and most likely for 100 days after January 20 per President. My cousin in Georgia just died from complications of COVID. Small family gathering at Thanksgiving, wore masks and ate outside but they all got it. CWO

Comment

Originally posted by kmelinda View Post
                I’m a c3/4/5 sci. Thankfully, I was able to get my 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. I just thought I’d let other cervical sci peers know that I’ve not experienced any side effect except a sore arm close to the injection site. I’ll update if there’s any changes...and after my 2nd injection on day 21.

Take care and stay safe friends.
                I’m due for for my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday. No side effects with the first one though a couple of my colleagues have been out of work with muscle aches and fever for a couple days with the second.

As a physician I certainly encourage all of my fellow SCIers to get the vaccine as soon as you are able to.

Due to the nature of the Pfizer vaccine they have to reconstitute a big batch and if people don’t show up they often have extra doses that they need to administer within hours. Might be worth contacting your local hospital system to see if you can be notified when this happens, then maybe you can get in a little sooner.

Comment

• kmelinda
                  kmelinda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s exactly how I was blessed to receive my vaccine injection sooner. People who worked at the facility knew I wanted & needed the vaccine. So, when they had an extra dose from an employee refusing theirs, they called me. Obviously, I gladly accepted and received it.

It’s frustrating getting any clear information but it seems like people with significant underlying conditions like a spinal cord injury who are under 65 may be able to fit into Phase 1C of the vaccine rollout program but it would be up to the state. I really don’t know if Cuomo and the NYS Department of Health has plans to open up phase 1C people with a lot of existing conditions.

Even if people with spinal cord injuries are eligible in NYS to be into Phase 1C, based on a group email I received just yesterday morning phase 1C May not be opened for vaccination until April since NYS anticipates vaccinating all 3.2 million people in phases 1A & 1B Could take up to 14 weeks which would bring us to April 17 or so. I did read that these phases could always change if there are a lot more vaccines available.

This timeline is way too long, we need a lot more vaccines since so many of us with reduced lung capacity, especially us quadriplegics and cervical level injured men and women Will not survive a bout with COVID-19. I have been trying to self isolate as much as possible but with needing caregivers it’s really not 100% possible to not have some people coming and going from the house. I’m sure lots of people are also in this boat.

Here’s New York State’s coronavirus vaccination rollout outline. I pulled this info off of AARP’s website.

Phase 1A
                High-risk hospital workers such as emergency room, staff in the hardest-hit COVID-affected communities are slated to get vaccinated first, followed by nursing home, long-term care residents
                Phase 1B
                Set to begin accepting appointments on Jan. 11, according to a Jan. 8 update by New York Gov. Mario Cuomo. People aged 75 and older will be eligible to make appointments online along with teachers, education workers, first responders etc. other Frontline health workers, home health aides
                Phase 1C
                Likely to be based on recommendations by a CDC advisory panel, which puts adults between the ages of 65 and 74 and people over the age of 16 with serious medical conditions next in line.

In phase 2
                The vaccine is to be offered to other long-term care residents, such as those in assisted living. It also should be available to another group of essential frontline workers, including grocery store employees, food processing and manufacturing staff, and others working in public-facing industries.
                Phase 3
                People 65 to 75 years of age which also includes individuals under 65 with high-risk co-morbidities and health conditions.
                Phase 4
                Other essential workers
                Phase 5
                healthy adults and children

Here is Governor Cuomo‘s email about vaccination updates from January 8, 2021

Dear Kyle,

Starting on Monday, New York State will begin scheduling vaccinations for "Phase 1b" groups—the next category of people eligible for the vaccine. This group includes: People aged 75 and up; education workers (pre-K through 12 teachers and education workers, licensed and registered child care providers, and school-bus drivers); first responders (local police, State Police, Sheriff's Office employees, professional and volunteer firefighters); EMS workers (including professional and volunteer paramedics and EMTs); public transit workers (airline and airport employees, passenger railroad employees, subway and mass transit employees, ferry employees, Port Authority employees, and public bus drivers); and public safety workers. About 3.2 million additional New Yorkers will now be eligible.

While we all want to vaccinate even more New Yorkers, we must also keep things in perspective. We have a real supply problem with regards to the vaccine. Without increased supply from the federal government, we expect it will take 14 weeks to vaccinate the Phase 1a and 1b groups, which takes us to...April 16. We are in communication with the incoming Biden administration on the issue of supply, which must increase, but it is critical that all New Yorkers continue to wear a mask, social distance and exercise caution.

1. Total hospitalizations rose to 8,561. Of the 243,903 tests reported yesterday, 18,832, or 7.72 percent, were positive. There were 1,475 patients in ICU yesterday, up 51 from the previous day. Of them, 912 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 161 New Yorkers to the virus.

2. Next week, New York will expand to a larger provider network for vaccine distribution. To assist with Phase 1b vaccine administration, the expanded network will include doctor networks, Federally Qualified Health Centers, county health departments, ambulatory centers and pharmacies. Starting next week, 500 pharmacies will come online to assist in the vaccine distribution.

4. To date, New York has administered approximately 479,000 vaccine doses. Hospitals have increased the number of doses administered over the past several weeks, starting with 33,709 doses administered during Week 1 and reaching approximately 195,078 by the end of Week 4. While the uptick is welcome, it is still not enough and we have more work to do.

5. I signed an Executive Order expanding the eligible pool of trainees who can administer the vaccine at distribution sites. As we continue our footrace in the vaccination process, we need as many eligible hands on deck as possible. The expanded pool includes licensed practical nurses, pharmacists & pharmacy technicians, dentists and certain dental technicians, midwives, podiatrists, EMTs and certain eligible students (in programs like nursing and medicine with at least one year of clinical experience). All eligible New Yorkers wishing to become vaccinators must undergo training. Learn more here.

6. Along with eight other governors, I call on the Department of Health and Human Services to expedite distribution of the vaccine. Today, I issued a letter to HHS Secretary Alex Azar and Chief Operating Officer General Gustave F. Perna asking to increase vaccine supply throughout the nation.

Ever Upward,

Governor Andrew Cuomo
                Last edited by KyleP2112; 9 Jan 2021, 12:45 PM.
                C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                  I'm down here in Florida and I have not heard when I can get mine as a quad our idiot governor does things differently down here my doctor still hasn't heard when her office will have the vaccine.
                  As soon as I can get it I certainly will though. The downside my wife is younger and no pre-existing conditions so she will be the last in line to get it so we will still need to be very safe
                  The spouse of a quadriplegic could be considered a primary caregiver and eligible for the vaccine in the earlier phases.

NL
                  Last edited by gjnl; 9 Jan 2021, 3:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post

The spouse of a quadriplegic could be considered a primary caregiver and eligible for the vaccine in the earlier phases.

NL
                    ahh, someone else mentioned that. would be great.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Today is day 4 after receiving my 1st Phizer injection, and so far, still no side effects for me except a sore arm. It’s improving though and almost back to normal.

As far as there being a pecking order...there is and it does differ between states. I’m in a small county in Alabama, and their still only allowing 1st responders & residents of nursing homes. I’m neither, but thankfully I was blessed to receive my 1st dose.

As I’m sure a few of you do, I have friends and family in the medical field. Anyways, I was able to receive an extra dose that an employee refused. The Phizer brand has to be handled in a certain way after preparing it, causing it to expire after a certain amount of time. So, it was either dispose of it or give it to someone. They knew I’d been writing and calling anyone I knew to find a way to receive it ASAP. So, they called me...saying I had to be there by 15 minutes. Thankfully, I live close by and made it. Now, I’ll be on the list to receive my 2nd dose in 21 days there too.

I just hate that things can’t be set up for everyone, especially the 1st responders, high risk, and caregivers, so we can all get the vaccine. I don’t understand why state governors haven’t called in the reserves, national guard, etc and mandated a 24/7 operation safely setting up injection sites throughout the US and get things rolling faster.

Last edited by kmelinda; 10 Jan 2021, 3:37 PM.

Comment

So glad to see this post. Thanks
                        get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

So 1 B or 1 C depending on the state includes respiratory conditions- Also those that are medically disabled should fit in also. Obesity is another condition of concern and Diabetes mellitus. Hypertension is in the next category.
                          Most get some symptoms after the second vaccination. But that is common. Just take ibuprofen or Acetaminophen unless contraindicated.
                          CWO

Comment

Working...
                          X