suprapubic tube balloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suprapubic tube balloon

hi, during the past year I have been having problems with my catheter. at first it seemed like the catheter was getting clogged, I would flush but that didn't work so I would end up changing it. I wouldn't even make it two weeks and it would happen again, I thought it couldn't be clogged again. So the next time it happened I just deflated the balloon and the catheter started working again! so what the heck is going on? it happend again last night and just. a minute ago, again I just deflated the balloon. It's working again, I need to find out what's going on this can't continue. the balloon must be getting in the way of the drainage eyes, I'm a C4 quad and cannot do this if I'm home alone. help me figure this out please.
    Save The Whales

My first thought is-is the balloon/catheter in the SP tract so partially clogged. Do you deflate it all the way? I would say clean around the catheter, deflate the balloon ( only as much as needed) reposition( push in), then rein flare with at least 4-5 mls. In the balloon. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I haven't seen the Duette catheter mentioned lately, but it may help you. The Poiesis Duette catheter has two balloons with the drainage eye positioned between the balloons. One of the balloons is a retention balloon, holds the catheter in the bladder. The other balloons is a cushioning balloon that keeps the end of the catheter from either embedding in the bladder wall which often occludes the drainage eye which can prevent urine from flowing.

Try searching the Care Cure Community pages for additional user experiences.

Poiesis Website: http://www.poiesismedical.com

NL

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        I haven't seen the Duette catheter mentioned lately, but it may help you. The Poiesis Duette catheter has two balloons with the drainage eye positioned between the balloons. One of the balloons is a retention balloon, holds the catheter in the bladder. The other balloons is a cushioning balloon that keeps the end of the catheter from either embedding in the bladder wall which often occludes the drainage eye which can prevent urine from flowing.

Try searching the Care Cure Community pages for additional user experiences.

Poiesis Website: http://www.poiesismedical.com

NL
        hi, this is probable what I need but only goes to a 18fr I use a 24fr. I have an appointment with my urologist in 4 weeks will try to see what we can do to solve this problem.
        Save The Whales

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          My first thought is-is the balloon/catheter in the SP tract so partially clogged. Do you deflate it all the way? I would say clean around the catheter, deflate the balloon ( only as much as needed) reposition( push in), then rein flare with at least 4-5 mls. In the balloon. CWO
          Hi, yes I did this the other night but we deflated the balloon all they way. didn't pull it out only let my bladder drain then gave a little push and then inflated the balloon. One thing remember is that it started doing this after I had kidney stones and bladder stones remove, last May 2020.
          Save The Whales

Comment

Originally posted by yobder View Post

hi, this is probable what I need but only goes to a 18fr I use a 24fr. I have an appointment with my urologist in 4 weeks will try to see what we can do to solve this problem.
            I have read on this site that 24FR users have successfully used the the 18FR. The stoma will quickly heal to the smaller size catheter.

I remember that GJ's urologist explained that his criteria for selecting catheter size was use the smallest catheter possible that allows for adequate drainage. Some people have to use the larger sizes because they experience clots or excessive sediment. But, larger catheters can cause urethral damage. The larger the catheter is the stiffer it is, which can increase the risk of the tip of the catheter embedding into the bladder wall, occluding the drainage eyelets and irritating the bladder wall. Key is balance. GJ's urologist initially placed a 16FR. GJ never needed anything bigger.

Poiesis is very good about providing samples of their catheters upon request.

NL

Comment

• KyleP2112
              KyleP2112 commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to know there’s an advantage to using a smaller catheter size...they’re softer the smaller they are

Going up to a 24 gr. Is not done anymore. 20 gr. Is usually the highest recommended. If want to go smaller you should slowly downsize and use 22 gr. First. CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you I’ll discuss this with my doctor in three weeks. I appreciate all the feedback
              Save The Whales

Comment

Working...
              X