Cataract or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cataract or something else?

Yesterday afternoon I was in my cellar, looking to find the source of a dripping noise I could hear from upstairs br. (thankfully it wasn't a pipe leaking, but water coming in from the back yard thru the ledge) While down there though, I started having some vision issues with my left eye, best way to describe it is gray fog with holes, but I could see some light. It lasted for about an hr. It came back again, though not as bad as earlier lasted maybe 15min, and again, where it lasted all of 5 minutes. Nothing since.
    Did some searching on the net, 1 site mentioned it might be a cataract. None of the other sites mention this gray fog. (Unable to call anybody, my cell died last week, and a replacement is being shipped) Had planned on going down into town to run this by a eye doc I had seen when I first moved here, but we got a snow storm overnight that made getting down into town from my driveway from hell too iffy.
    Anyone else here here dealt with a cataract, that got this gray fog issue? (I have had past problems with my eyes due to pseudotumor cerebri, aka IIH...which was fixed by putting in a lp shunt. These symptoms yesterday were not the same as what I dealt with the PTC, IIH problem.)
    Would love to know if anyone here that has had a cataract has run into that gray fog thing, so I don't have to be concerned.
    TIA,
    Jojo

Time to get your eyes checked. Could be something else to. Had mine checked last summer. First time in about 30 years. Been using reading glasses for years now. Nothing was wrong with my eyes rather than just needed reading glasses with bifocals. Most the time I go back to 2.0 reading glasses. Bifocals are a pain to use. I use them when I drive and go places so you can see fine print. Pass my eyes test for driving without glasses so far. But wearing glasses makes thing clearer for driving and help to read the ins. cluster. For reading real fine print I have to put on 2.0 and 4.0 reading glasses on. Looks funny but you gota do what you gota do. Some days are better than other.
    Art

Comment

Cataracts don't come and go like that. Migraine aura does, and you can get the aura without the headache - but a grey fog can be caused by many, many conditions and you need to get it checked out by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). Even some of the most serious threats to vision can be successfully treated, if caught early.
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
        Cataracts don't come and go like that. Migraine aura does, and you can get the aura without the headache - but a grey fog can be caused by many, many conditions and you need to get it checked out by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). Even some of the most serious threats to vision can be successfully treated, if caught early.
        Exactly my thoughts. Cataracts are constant and can only get worse over time.
        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

You should see the doctor as soon as possible about this. Call the surgeon today who did your shunt for psuedotumor and tell the RN what your symptoms are and they will let you know which doctor you should see first. If you can't call is there an email/web based communication system with any of your doctors/hospitals where you can send a message? Can you email a friend and have them call for you? Can you do a phone call over the internet?

I would first be concerned that there is an issue with your shunt. Also, do you have any risk factors for stroke, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes?

Was the loss of vision like a curtain being drawn down over the eye?

No, this isn't a cataract.

Comment

I agree with his. Few years ago I had a similar thing, one eye. Went through several tests and ophthalmologist found what looks like a resolved blood clot on my retina. It resolved in minutes (probably less than, but it seemed forever when i basically went blind in one eye in a pet store). He said that if it had lasted for much time the loss would have been permanent. I've been on low dose aspirin ever since and twice yearly exams. I'd take this real seriously!
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

Definitely not cataract. Start with inability to see at night and halos around lights then slowly gets worse. See an eye doctor, it could be related to your shunt. But it could just be nothing. CWO
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
              X