Knee swollen and sore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee swollen and sore

Hey y'all. I fell off my bed and now my knee is swollen and painful especially when bent sitting in my chair. I was hoping in would get better but tomorrow will be 7 days and it's still swollen. Should I go get an x-ray or is there any other options? I'm c-6-7 going on 20 years, 56 years old.

I suggest getting it X-rayed. I fractured a TIB-FIB at about 7-8 years post and waited about 5 days before getting it X- rayed and finding out I had a fracture. If you are on x-ray table might as well get femur looked at too.

X-ray is pretty simple process so might as well find out what the status is.
    Good luck.

Comment

I had a tibial plantar fracture a couple of years ago from falling out of a standing frame. I got big-time AD on the e-stim bike. The X-ray did not show it but the MRI did. Not that it mattered much. The treatment was to just leave it alone. It healed up just fine.

Comment

You definitely need to get an Xray and see a good orthopedist. Fractures just above and below the knee are the most common locations for leg fractures in people with SCI.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You were right as always KLD. He said a closed fracture of the left tibia pateau. And I can't see an ortho doc til Monday, hopefully.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to me, lol.

Seriously though is a closed fracture better than open or is it just a phrase? And should i wrap it with ace bandage and leave the knee cap open so it can bend?

I've got to do shower tomorrow and Mon. but i can really take it easy the weekend.

Comment

I'm sorry! You can ice and elevate to reduce the swelling, but should not bend the knee. Use an ACE wrap cautiously (avoid wrapping too tight). When you see the doctor on Monday, discuss DVT prevention with them at the same time.

If the physician means by a closed fracture one where the skin is not broken vs. one where it is (usually called a compound fracture), yes, it is definitely better for it to be closed. Less risk of infection and bleeding.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• rollin64
              rollin64 commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess i'll have to stay out of chair as much as possible until I see doc.

Thanks KLD, you've always headed me straight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR "KLD" and everyone out there in sci land.

If you have a slide board, you can slip the end under your cushion, add some padding, and strap your leg in extension to it (ACE wrap works well) so you can still get up in your chair. Prop your leg on a stool or the side of the tub to shower. (KLD)

Comment

• rollin64
              rollin64 commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea about slide board KLD. All mine are only 24 in. I don't think they'd be long enough. May work though.

• rollin64
              rollin64 commented
              Editing a comment
              I went to see ortho doc today. Only seen his PA. She mentioned braced but disregargarded since i would be up and down transferrering. Said to be easy and come back in 2 weeks for more x-rays. Should i request CT scan or mri to check for ligament damage? My leg just feels flismsy and turns in when lying down.

I would think some type of brace or splint would be helpful. CWO

Comment

• rollin64
              rollin64 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I'll ask more about that when i go back CWO. Do you know if the braces or splints have metal on them or are they like a rubberized brace?

I'm wondering if i can take it off when transferring-shower and bowel program then put it back on.

The new ones are made out of a special fabric to keep the bones straight -and prevent further damage so it will heal. An immobilizes would be helpful and give some support. CWO

Comment

• rollin64
              rollin64 commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you guys have any pictures? That would be ideal.

I found something like this online. I could just let my foot hang off the footrest of my chair maybe.

https://www.bettymills.com/sized-kne...BoCkMsQAvD_BwE

Comment

Working...
            X