Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zit or potential cyst sorta near to left sitting bone...to remove or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zit or potential cyst sorta near to left sitting bone...to remove or not???

Did a forum search, but didn't really find anything. I occasionally get zits on the butt, but they usually resolve on their own. Sometimes I'll pop them (I know you're not supposed to do this...but I lose patience and have "zit-OCD") and then just spray some Vetericyn on them and they're gone when I wake up. About maybe two or three weeks ago a zit showed up on my left butt cheek, really close to my anus. It's about the size of a small pea, it feels like. I've tried spraying it with the vetericyn, even squeezed some of the yuckies out of it (tiny amount comes out), but it's still there. I'm admittedly growing a little scared of this.

My primary fear is whether to get this thing removed or not. If I don't remove it, I'm afraid it may affect the integrity of the area as I guess it would be like sitting with a pair of jeans with a pea in one of the back pockets; and while it's not under the ischial and isn't anywhere near the edge of the commode when I sit, I still worry about any excess differential pressure in the area. If I do get it removed (I've had lots of cysts removed from my back) I know this entails an incision and a couple of stitches, and then there may be the potential for the area to be a weak spot for future sores to happily show up.

Has anyone ever dealt with one of these? I've made an appointment with a dermotologist for (hopefully) Monday or Tuesday to get it looked at and at least eliminate the possibility there's pressure damage.

Any chance they can eliminate this without cutting?

I can snap some pics if you think that will help. Thanks ahead of time for any advice or anecdotes, guys.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Pictures might be helpful, but it sounds to me like you are describing a pilonidal cyst, which does need to be surgically removed (it is not a big procedure; usually done in the office).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376329

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Tufelhunden View Post
      If I don't remove it, I'm afraid it may affect the integrity of the area as I guess it would be like sitting with a pair of jeans with a pea in one of the back pockets
      That's my thought, too. I doubt that having it removed would significantly weaken the area, as it's a small cyst. If you don't have it removed, or at least professionally drained, it will probably keep coming back and end up putting tissue integrity at greater risk.

MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Working...
      X