Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wound

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wound

    So I had pimples grow on my butt in the same area and then they opened and have grew together into a 1 cm sore. I've been prescribed Santyl for the slough but it grows after I go up from the shower chair. Can I tape gauze over it for protection in the shower chair? Just worried it would dry and tear more off.

    #2
    See a doctor and wound care specialist. Get off it and stay off. (the most effective and hardest thing to do) Get some Mepilex border. It is water proof. Clean the wound. Put an anti-biotic on the wound. Cover. Check it daily. As it gets better you can check it every other day, then every third, etc.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
      See a doctor and wound care specialist. Get off it and stay off. (the most effective and hardest thing to do) Get some Mepilex border. It is water proof. Clean the wound. Put an anti-biotic on the wound. Cover. Check it daily. As it gets better you can check it every other day, then every third, etc.
      I didn't know it was waterproof because it never says that. It would be healed if it wasn't for my shower chair

      Comment


        #4
        I agree with seeing a wound care specialist, and staying off it. I would also want to culture the wound, as community-acquired MRSA can often appear like a pimple or boil. If that is positive, you will need treatment for the MRSA.

        (KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          I agree with seeing a wound care specialist, and staying off it. I would also want to culture the wound, as community-acquired MRSA can often appear like a pimple or boil. If that is positive, you will need treatment for the MRSA.

          (KLD)
          I try to stay off of it but I have to work during the to pay bills so it's been difficult for me. I went to a specialist and they were in and out in a minute. They put me on Santayl and Medihoney since Saturday but the yellow is still their. He didn't even say much and was in a hurry. How long does Santayl usually take to work? And he said to use it until it is closed, is that right?

          Click image for larger version  Name:	124038219_834165547358612_403608356325577247_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	555.3 KB ID:	2904265

          Comment


            #6
            Does that tract go anywhere? It may be deeper than a stage 2. Santyl is only for removing slough, and once the slough is gone, you should stop using it. It should be applied several times daily; I would not use it together with Medihoney. Can you see a different wound care provider, perhaps though a home health agency wound care nurse specialist?

            I know you feel you need to be up on this, but you may end up paying with a much deeper wound if you do so.

            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


              #7
              What kind of cushion do you sit on? I use and recommend a ROHO Quadtro.
              What kind of mattress do you sleep on? I use and recommend a Low Air Loss Alternating Air Pressure Mattress.

              Comment


              • hlh
                hlh commented
                Editing a comment
                Is there a specific Low Air Loss alternating Air pressure mattress you use / recommend?

              #8
              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Does that tract go anywhere? It may be deeper than a stage 2. Santyl is only for removing slough, and once the slough is gone, you should stop using it. It should be applied several times daily; I would not use it together with Medihoney. Can you see a different wound care provider, perhaps though a home health agency wound care nurse specialist?

              I know you feel you need to be up on this, but you may end up paying with a much deeper wound if you do so.

              (KLD)
              Does it go anywhere? The top part or the left purple part?

              Comment


              • SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you insert a Qtip into the hole in the upper left? If so, how far in does it go?

                (KLD)

              #9
              Originally posted by CubanQuad68 View Post
              What kind of cushion do you sit on? I use and recommend a ROHO Quadtro.
              What kind of mattress do you sleep on? I use and recommend a Low Air Loss Alternating Air Pressure Mattress.
              in bed I lay on my side so it's not an issue but I looked up the ROHO Quadtro and does it work with Invacare chairs? What shower chair do you use? I'm in mine for an hour and a half and I think that is where most damage is done.

              Comment


              • endo_aftermath
                endo_aftermath commented
                Editing a comment
                I use an Activeaid model 624 ss. Good, stout, self-propelled chair. One nice feature is that the cushion can be rotated so that the cut-out is facing any one of the four directions. Depending on your wound, you might be able orient the seat so that the wound falls into the opening, i.e. zero pressure..

              #10
              <hln> I have a HMO, and they paid for an Invacare.
              I did want one of these:


              Hill-Rom Synergy? Air Elite Low Air Loss Therapy (Best Therapeutic Choice)
              https://www.hill-rom.com/usa/Product...tric-Mattress/


              Video for Hill-Rom Synergy? Air Elite Low Air Loss Therapy
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-DpJaUWRo


              Hill-Rom? 300 Wound Surface (310 is an Economic Choice)
              https://www.hill-rom.com/usa/Product...ving-Mattress/

              Video on the Hill-Rom 300 & 310 Wound Surface
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxoEWt-ofQI

              Comment


                #11
                BEWARE AND PLEASE, STAY AWAY FROM....This garbage does not work. It does not Alternate, it does not provide Low Air Loss.

                Med-Aire 8" Alternating Pressure and Low Air Loss Mattress System


                https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/p...system/p/536-1

                Comment


                • jeft
                  jeft commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed! I used this as well for a little while and it was absolutely terrible. It's currently in my basement waiting to be thrown in the garbage.

                #12
                I have Invacare microAIR MA55 Alternating Pressure Mattress.


                MOXI™ Select Air Deluxe Low Air Loss Mattress Replacement System
                MOXI™ Select Air MAX Low Air Loss Mattress Replacement System

                www.moxiusa.com / 800-942-7678

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ8tha6SNds

                Invacare microAIR MA85 Alternating Pressure Mattress

                Invacare microAIR MA65 Alternating Pressure Low Air Loss Mattress

                Invacare microAIR MA55 Alternating Pressure Mattress

                Alternating Pressure Mattress with on-demand Low Air Loss. 350-lb weight capacity. Product will not bottom out during power failure. 36"W x 80"L.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hex4B4zDNa4

                Comment


                  #13
                  The best in my own experience is the Everest & Jennings Rehab Shower Commode. It provides mobility and versatility. It could be used atop a toilet or by itself, anywhere.
                  https://gograhamfield.com/graham-fie...hower-commode/

                  Comment


                    #14
                    Thanks CubanQuad68. So helpful! I hope your skin is looking great.

                    Did you ever try a low air loss topper before jumping right to a mattress?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X