infected or just colonization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

infected or just colonization?

Latest urine culture - should this be treated or is it just colonization?
    Urine Culture, Routine Final report
    Result 1 Klebsiella pneumoniae
    Greater than 100,000 colony forming units per mL
    Result 2 Comment
    Pseudomonas aeruginosa
    50,000-100,000 colony forming units per mL
    Thanks

my urologist told me ever since I got my injury: do not treat it unless it gives you fever or AD... the more you treat them, the more resistant they become... In my case, this strategy has worked great! no fever nor AD for years...

Comment

I agree. Don't treat cultures. Treat only true UTIs, which involve any or all of these signs and symptoms:
      • Fever
      • Chills
      • Bad AD
      • Suddenly increase urine leakage between caths or around catheters
      • Significantlhy increased WBC in a blood count
      • Severe malaise
      Note that cloudy urine, bad odor, and a positive culture like this do not represent a UTI in the absence of these other signs, and should not be treated under most circumstances.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - this test was requested by my PC vs urologist - We went back and forth on treatment options - for now we are just observing - thanks again

Comment

If I feel a UTI may be starting up, I increase my H2O and Vitamin C. My Uro. gives me Cephlexin by the 100. That'll last me a couple years on average. If the Vit. C doesn't clear up the urine, it usually does, I'll do a ten day regimen of 3x's a day. If that doesn't clear it up, I'll take a sample in to my Uro.. Every time, Cephlex proves to work. If I feel I need something different, maybe four times in the 40 plus years I've been cathing, she'll give it to me.

If you cath, Colonization is a given. You can reduce UTI's by drinking lots of water and taking Vitamin C. I also take Methenamine along with the Vit C..

After so many years, 47 post, I know my body fairly well and what works for me. I use a measuring cup to drink from and a different one for cathing. That way, I know fairly close how much input and output I'm doing and also a way of seeing how clear or cloudy the urine is.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            It is unwise to select an antibiotic for treatment of a true UTI without doing a C&S (culture and sensitivity). Overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics like this has led to the development of highly resistant strains of bacteria.
            In addition, while you may believe that vitamin C and/or methenamine may help prevent UTIs, research shows that they are no more effective than placebo for people with SCI. We stopped prescribing them years ago for this reason.

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          It is unwise to select an antibiotic for treatment of a true UTI without doing a C&S (culture and sensitivity). Overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics like this has led to the development of highly resistant strains of bacteria.
          In addition, while you may believe that vitamin C and/or methenamine may help prevent UTIs, research shows that they are no more effective than placebo for people with SCI. We stopped prescribing them years ago for this reason.

(KLD)
          Thanks KLD, we make a point of not overusing the Cephlex. Every C&S done in the past 40 years turns out that it was the antibiotic to use.

Will recheck with my Uro. So far the extra Vit.C seems to clear up the color and any sediment in the urine. I realize that doesn't define it as a UTI.I know I'm colonized and seems to work for me. If it's a placebo, I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
          X