No announcement yet.

Shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Diclofenac gel, it can help a lot! 2-3 x a day.
    Keep injections on time because it will keep inflammation down, once flared up and have to wait- seems like starting all over again.
    And with this virus, wait for appointment may be longer.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• rollin64
      rollin64 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I have the the gel it doesn't help at at all.

Some people swear by the gel, others have the response that rollin64 has. It is certainly worth a try. And the positive is that with applying it to thea area that is bothering you allows for targeted relief.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have been using the gel as well and it does seem to help
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I started taking the gel yesterday and seems to help so far. Didn't realize I used to have an rx for it when it needed a prescription. Will see how it goes cause the shoulders and torn biceps sure have been a pain lately. I found Aspercreme helps too.

Comment

This is more of a temporary help, but I buy lidocaine patches on Amazon they are 4 percent lidocaine, patches are about 3x5 I cut in half at times. Sometimes I use a heating pad to help get in to my shoulder. It help my spasms at night so I can sleep

Comment

Tom2018: You asked about the exercises I do. I made a list of about 25 from Googling numerous chair exercises, then eliminating those done by non-paralyzed persons sitting in a chair; also searched You Tube and found some good ones by paralyzed persons. I would suggest doing such a search so you can only pick the ones that are safe and helpful for you. One of the ones I really like is clasping the fingers behind the neck/head then very slowly bringing the elbows together in front of your head, then outward, and repeating this about 5 times. I feel that I'm stretching both shoulders in a gentle way. Another one is shoulder shrugs - slowly shrug both shoulders upward, and feel the light stretch; shrug shoulders forward and back - and by lightly I mean definitely lightly, and I would not repeat this beyond maybe 5 times or less, as tolerated. I also pick up each leg 5 times, as that's what I must do daily for dressing - I try to incorporate what I need to do for daily living into my exercise routine.
            I suggest being very cautious about over-doing exercise even if it feels good. I am cautious about any "over stretching" as in reaching for something that's a bit too far - such as on a refrigerator shelf. I have "reacher" tools all over my house - about 4 of them.
            It has been difficult for me to accept that I must use caution with my shoulders, but for several years now I would say I have made good progress.
            I would say my focus is on slow strengthening and gentle stretching my shoulders.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I need to find me an exercise routine for sure. I really screwed up my rotator cuff is what the ortho doc guesses. I heard some bad crackling when transferring now i can't even get in a position where it don't hurt.

Comment

Steroid injections, ibuprofen, Naproxen or Tramadol and Diclofenac gel, physical therapist who will teach you the exercises and increase your range of motion are the typical treatment. It sometimes will heal unless a severe tear. Not continuing to repeat the cause is difficult but the PT should look at your transfers and see if repetitive injuring. CWO

Comment

Thanks CWO, I'm gonna see another better ortho doc and get an mri or ct scan, whichever to find out what's really going on. I think i keep hurting it.

Comment

I just received my second tube of Diclofenac Gel for my shoulders. I noticed on the side of the box it said not for use on body area, hip or shoulder. Is it okay to use on shoulder?

Treatment areas recommended are hand, wrist,elbow, foot, ankle and knee. For temporary use only. Is this because it's an anti-inflammatory.?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                      SCI-Nurse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't see that in the on-line instructions. Apparently it's use for hip and shoulder were NOT studied in the clinical trials, so they cannot officially recommend it for such use. You should stick to the dosage limits though:
                      "The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Do not apply more than 16 grams of diclofenac per day to any single joint of the lower body (such as knee, ankle, foot). Do not apply more than 8 grams of diclofenac per day to any single joint of the upper body (such as hand, wrist, elbow). No matter how many joints you are treating, do not use more than a total of 32 grams of diclofenac per day." (KLD)

Thanks KLD.

Comment

• rollin64
                      rollin64 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn't know that either. Guess ya got to read them labels.

I'm really getting worried now. Tomorrow will be 3 wks since i hurt it and still pain and weakness. Transfers are tough but manageable. Don't see ortho doc til the 9th of march. Been exercising and stretching to keep pain and weakness down. Gotta keep pushing, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X