No announcement yet.

Questions about a possible colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, ejl10, how is it going with the new orfice?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
      Hey, ejl10, how is it going with the new orfice?
      Well, it's getting a little bit easier to manage but I'm still a little uncomfortable with it. Having the bag hanging off my stomach all day is really weird, and I'm quite self-conscious about it (especially when the colostomy has been active!) but changing the bag has gotten much easier, and I'm starting to have a little more success changing the wafer independently. The last one made it about 5 days. I've also had a couple of issues:

Two weeks ago I noticed that my stool turned jet black and kind of like tar consistency. It appears that this was due to blood in my intestine. The facility I'm staying at immediately started feeding me prescription Omeprazal, with the concern that I might have a stomach ulcer. I got scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy last Friday, which I endured, but by the time that procedure came along I was returning to more normal stool and they found nothing.

Also, over the last week I've started to feel increasing pressure similar to what as an able bodied person I would have felt if I was about to start "turtleing," alongside what feels like constipation. But everything seems to be working so I'm definitely not constipated, and therefore have no idea what's going on. At this point it's constant discomfort that only alleviates when I lay down at night. I'm kind of hopeful it just goes away, and started taking miralax yesterday with my morning protein shake to help it along. We'll see.

But still, I'm so glad I'm no longer dependent on a caregiver to administer a bowel program everyday. That really drained me emotionally and psychologically.
      Last edited by ejl10; 18 Dec 2020, 6:56 PM.
      C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Sound pretty normal! I had some scares after getting the divertment, but they were all paper tigers and I soon settled down to fecal bliss!
        (Happy as a pig in shit)
        It gets better, just give time time.
        Things will work out (intended )
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

I used the barrier ring for my first 3 months due to the pancaking from bending over in the chair to pick something off the floor etc. It was such a mess trying to peel off the melted ring all the while worrying about a discharge with no appliance or bag on. I went with a concave appliance and it has been the cat's meow. I no longer have to worry about stool getting under the appliance. Also I just used warm soap and water to clean around the stoma when I did the appliance change and my appliance started to stay on for up to 6 days but I change it after 4 just to be safe. I was like you at first trying avoid going with the ostomy. However in the end it was one of the best choices I have made these last 18 years.

Comment

i use the concave i also use a hair dryer to warm it up not hot just warm and it stick really good . i also use a big trash bag over lap and chair and i use walmart plastics sacks to change and throw away . i do have to watch what i eat to much fiber and opps. but yes its a game changer

Comment

Awesome advice here! I got a few barrier rings, but trying to stretch them out to fit my stoma with my non-functioning fingers was really just a joke! I got a chance to try a concave wafer, and agree that it seemed to work much better. That said, I've used a standard flat one for the past two wafers and they seem to be lasting quite a long time. Last one leaked after 6.5 days, which was a hell of a lot more than the previous one to two days I was getting! Everything just seems a little bit easier now. Must be time and experience.

I am really curious to know more about proper diet for a colostomy. If I Google it, I get the impression that I shouldn't eat fiber ever again. But other people have told me I can eat anything I want anytime. I've got to imagine that the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but I'm really tentative about my eating for the time being. Prior to this, given my bowel program problems, I was eating an exceptionally high fiber diet. Makes me nervous now to eat anything else!
              C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Generally no special diet is required. Eliminating fiber from your diet can lead to constipation, as well as elevated lipid levels. You can probably back off a little on this, but I would still aim for 20-30 gm. of fiber daily. (KLD)

• ejl10
                ejl10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent, thank you! I'll probably lay off my fiber supplements, but maybe spend less time avoiding beans and other high fiber foods.
            Working...
            X