Questions about a possible colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanQuad68 View Post
    I had my an ileostomy a few years ago. I am a user of the two-piece Hollister system. It is a lot easier on the Stoma and surrounding skin than the One-piece disposable system. I love it. Since I am a C6-C7 Quad, my wife changes it every 5-7 days.
    Sure-Fit Natura Moldable Wafer Durahesive? Skin Barrier
    with Mold-to-Fit opening and hydrocolloid tape collar
    SUR FIT Natura? Two Piece High Output Pouch
    Thanks for the information! As KLD said, my colostomy will probably require some different equipment, but I'm eager to learn and therefore feel like there's value in knowing even what makes better sense for an ileostomy. I appreciate it!
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Just want everyone to know that I made it out of the hospital safe and sound. I never had any symptoms other than a pretty high fever during the first few days. Thankfully, nothing respiratory ever came up, though I definitely spent time practicing my breathing. Hope everyone else is able to stay away from this virus!

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post

They also have me on a very low fiber diet, so the bag is just filling up with liquid stool and therefore pretty tough to manage cleanly. I sure hope this gets easier, as right now it doesn't feel like I made a great decision. That said, I spent 12 days in the hospital without having to battle nurses to administer a bowel program! That's been the worst part about hospital visits over the last 2 years (nurses telling me that only doctors can do bowel programs, and doctors telling me they don't have time), so I'm definitely pleased.
        i’m sure you’re pretty apprehensive about the future at the moment. I also questioned my decision after the fact for a while. You’re going to discharge quite a bit in the beginning. I think mine was like that for the first month or so. I don’t remember the exact time frame. At the same time, you’re trying to learn the best ways to change the appliance, worried about diet, etc.

It gets a lot better once your discharge settles down. The stool should be better formed, less gas, and you will have figured out the appliance. That’s when I started to feel a lot better about the decision.

Keeping you in my thoughts buddy!
        Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

Just want everyone to know that I made it out of the hospital safe and sound. I never had any symptoms other than a pretty high fever during the first few days. Thankfully, nothing respiratory ever came up, though I definitely spent time practicing my breathing. Hope everyone else is able to stay away from this virus!
          Glad to hear you are out of the hospital. Be patient with your colostomy it will take a little time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Comment

It's that way at first.

I use a hand towel or dry wash cloth and place between my pants and under bag. Then place a paper towel over the h towel. Slide disposable bag over paper towel and under the small flange to catch the bag and any run off. I have an extra paper towel to wipe away any excess and place in disposable bag. Put on new bag.

I always carry three extra changes of bags wrapped separately with two paper towels and the clean bag each in the disposable bag . Also have a wash cloth tucked in my pouch under the chair to use when I'm not at home.

My Internist suggested I used ONE Imodium in the morning to help firm up the stool, which it does. You may want to ask yours about doing that too. Are you using a barrier ring around the hole of the appliance? It helps bigtime in stopping any seepage from the appliance. We also use two inch paper tape around the appliance to help keep it on the skin also. Using a hairdryer to warm up the barrier ring to form around the hole of the appliance makes it easier to mold onto the hole.

This is for a two piece type appliance not the one piece. Glad you're home and feeling better.

Comment

Originally posted by jeft View Post

i’m sure you’re pretty apprehensive about the future at the moment. I also questioned my decision after the fact for a while. You’re going to discharge quite a bit in the beginning. I think mine was like that for the first month or so. I don’t remember the exact time frame. At the same time, you’re trying to learn the best ways to change the appliance, worried about diet, etc.

It gets a lot better once your discharge settles down. The stool should be better formed, less gas, and you will have figured out the appliance. That’s when I started to feel a lot better about the decision.

Keeping you in my thoughts buddy!
              Thanks, good to hear! Everyone talks about it as the best decision they ever made, but clearly there's a warming up period before you get there. I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

Glad to hear you are out of the hospital. Be patient with your colostomy it will take a little time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!
                Hard to be patient given the high expectations, but I'm doing my best. Turns out the surgeon discovered a little something while he was in there. He didn't tell me, but reading through his notes I found out that I had something called a redundant colon, which basically means my colon was longer than it should have been for my body size and had folds and bends in it that were probably responsible for all the problems I had. So the bad news is that the surgery was a little more complicated than I expected it to be, since he had to remove part of my colon, but the good news is that I feel reasonably assured this will fix my problems in the long run. Fingers very crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                  It's that way at first.

I use a hand towel or dry wash cloth and place between my pants and under bag. Then place a paper towel over the h towel. Slide disposable bag over paper towel and under the small flange to catch the bag and any run off. I have an extra paper towel to wipe away any excess and place in disposable bag. Put on new bag.

I always carry three extra changes of bags wrapped separately with two paper towels and the clean bag each in the disposable bag . Also have a wash cloth tucked in my pouch under the chair to use when I'm not at home.

My Internist suggested I used ONE Imodium in the morning to help firm up the stool, which it does. You may want to ask yours about doing that too. Are you using a barrier ring around the hole of the appliance? It helps bigtime in stopping any seepage from the appliance. We also use two inch paper tape around the appliance to help keep it on the skin also. Using a hairdryer to warm up the barrier ring to form around the hole of the appliance makes it easier to mold onto the hole.

This is for a two piece type appliance not the one piece. Glad you're home and feeling better.
                  Great advice, and certainly less stuff required than they required while "teaching" me in the hospital! Prepping for three changes at any time sounds about right based on my level of fear. What about wafers? Do you carry extras of those as well, just in case you need to make a change while out and about?

As far as barrier rings go, I bought a bunch of sure seal rings. They're very similar to tegaderm, and the way I'm using them is one against the skin, then the wafer, then another one over the wafer. Kind of a tegaderm sandwich to lock in any potential leakage. Seems to be working so far, though it's pretty complicated to actually put them on well. Any other barrier rings you'd recommend that I should look at?

Thanks!

Comment

As far as barrier rings go, I bought a bunch of sure seal rings. They're very similar to tegaderm, and the way I'm using them is one against the skin, then the wafer, then another one over the wafer. Kind of a tegaderm sandwich to lock in any potential leakage. Seems to be working so far, though it's pretty complicated to actually put them on well. Any other barrier rings you'd recommend that I should look at?
                    You and I seem to have a similar mindset when it comes to trying to absorb every possible detail the world has to offer and then use that information to get things right on the first try. :-) Next step is usually to stress obsessively over all the shit going wrong. I don't mean that negatively. You're doing a great job of figuring this stuff out and will likely end up with better results sooner because of it.

I did the same thing you're doing with getting a bunch of stuff to test out. What I found over time was that more pieces lead to more potential points of failure. Instead of using barrier rings, I ended up going with a concave wafer. It seems to hold better by helping to prevent pancaking. I use Coloplast products. But I believe that others have concave wafers to try as well if it seems appropriate. Here's a link https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...variant=169210

I use only soap and water to clean the skin. I also heat the wafer for a few minutes under a heating blanket before applying. I'm really not 100% sure this helps. But, it seemed like it does. My wafers usually stay on for 14 days unless I have pancaking. It took several months, though, before they started staying on that long.

Wishing you the best man!

Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by jeft View Post

You and I seem to have a similar mindset when it comes to trying to absorb every possible detail the world has to offer and then use that information to get things right on the first try. :-) Next step is usually to stress obsessively over all the shit going wrong. I don't mean that negatively. You're doing a great job of figuring this stuff out and will likely end up with better results sooner because of it.

I did the same thing you're doing with getting a bunch of stuff to test out. What I found over time was that more pieces lead to more potential points of failure. Instead of using barrier rings, I ended up going with a concave wafer. It seems to hold better by helping to prevent pancaking. I use Coloplast products. But I believe that others have concave wafers to try as well if it seems appropriate. Here's a link https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...variant=169210

I use only soap and water to clean the skin. I also heat the wafer for a few minutes under a heating blanket before applying. I'm really not 100% sure this helps. But, it seemed like it does. My wafers usually stay on for 14 days unless I have pancaking. It took several months, though, before they started staying on that long.

Wishing you the best man!

14 days!?! Holy moly, sign me up!

Comment

• jeft
                        jeft commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm thinking more about that. It might be closer to 11 or 12. I stopped keeping track. But, I know that's rare for me to need to change them. This also depends on lots of things like hair, sweating, movement, etc.

• ejl10
                        ejl10 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Even so, that's very impressive and I can only hope I can achieve the same!

Great advice, and certainly less stuff required than they required while "teaching" me in the hospital! Prepping for three changes at any time sounds about right based on my level of fear. What about wafers? Do you carry extras of those as well, just in case you need to make a change while out and about?

Thanks!
                      I keep a spare appliance ready to go in a bag I keep in the van. Never had to use it yet but it's there if needed. We use the Hollister #7805 barrier ring. THey look like a large life saver candy. We stretch it out to fit the hole and heat it up a bit with a hair dryer to form around the edge of the hole. I'm sure yours is still fairly swollen so they gave you the larger sized appliance. Once it goes down you'll be able to use a smaller sized appliance.

My wife runs her gloved finger around the inside to ensure a tight seal or uses the cap of a marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

I keep a spare appliance ready to go in a bag I keep in the van. Never had to use it yet but it's there if needed. We use the Hollister #7805 barrier ring. THey look like a large life saver candy. We stretch it out to fit the hole and heat it up a bit with a hair dryer to form around the edge of the hole. I'm sure yours is still fairly swollen so they gave you the larger sized appliance. Once it goes down you'll be able to use a smaller sized appliance.

My wife runs her gloved finger around the inside to ensure a tight seal or uses the cap of a marker.
                        Excellent! I'll look into that barrier ring, too. I don't have a wife to help me out with this and will need to do it independently, so I'm not quite sure about the hair dryer, but somebody else mentioned a heating pad which is well within my range I'm sure.

Comment

Are you enjoying your colostomy?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                            Are you enjoying your colostomy?
                            I wouldn't quite say I'm "enjoying" it just yet. Tolerating it with optimism is probably a better characterization. Admittedly, for a week or so afterward I thought I made a huge mistake. So my guess is that it will continue to get better until such time as I feel like it was a great decision. Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later! But I can tell you this, I'm definitely not missing the bowel program. That turned my life into a nightmare for 2 years, and I'm glad that I'll never have to do it again.

Comment

This is for future perhaps, but when I got my colostomy, they loaded me up with that sticky barrier ring stuff and the "contact glue for the skin" stuff.
                              I was adherent (pun intended!) for a while, but the ring shit was a PITA and I ran out once and never got back to it.
                              Later I discovered that if my skin was clean and dry, the flange adhered just fine.
                              So for the last 10 years or so, I've had very few problems just slapping the flanges on. I do rub the periphery vigorously to heat it up for better adhesion and give it a trim with my razor.

Using a hair dryer sounds smart if you're having poor adhesion.

Occasionally my skin will get irritated and itchy under the flange. If it goes on too long, it gets real upset and wet from lymphatic discharge. I still keep the 3M Cavilon Spray handy and at the onset of this development, start sealing the area with it.
                              On the very rare occasions that the inflamation gets out of hand, and I need a salve, I load the whole area with it and slap on a couple 4x4s held on with 2" paper tape. Because my norm is Swedish meatballs and dwarf dogs, it's no problem. When some stuff comes through I take it off, reset, and recover. At night I'll use the normal rig and do the patch deal another day, sometimes two. This has only happened may 3 times in 10 years.I was surprised how little of a hassle or mess it was. And, the bag always smells but not this! Go figure.
                              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                              NW NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X