Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
    lower/better
    and don't understand the pillow? I just go to bed, wake up a couple or more times and change sides when I do. The bag doesn't mind!
    ither i sleep on side all night never had a problem

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

I use a one piece system. https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...ainable-pouch/ No wafer needed. For me it doesn't get any easier. I don't use a pillow at night either.
      Certainly a one-piece system is more attractive in terms of less waste, and overall simplicity and security of the connection. However, I'm suspicious that, at least at the beginning, I'm going to find it challenging to change the wafer given the lack of hand function, and therefore I'd be better off with a two-piece at least until I get used to changing the wafer. It's the same reason that I'm planning to use a disposable bag at the beginning... Make it as easy as possible until I figure out how to do it. Does this make sense, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
      C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Good choice to go with the lower location. Everything will turn out fine.)

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post

Certainly a one-piece system is more attractive in terms of less waste, and overall simplicity and security of the connection. However, I'm suspicious that, at least at the beginning, I'm going to find it challenging to change the wafer given the lack of hand function, and therefore I'd be better off with a two-piece at least until I get used to changing the wafer. It's the same reason that I'm planning to use a disposable bag at the beginning... Make it as easy as possible until I figure out how to do it. Does this make sense, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
          I hunch 23 piece is the way to go, even for a quad. I imagine that a one piece bag implies going through all the steps to replacing the flange of a two piece which means getting the area scrupulously clean and dry before adhering a new flange or pouch.
          Getting a new bag to snap on the flange is much like getting a large mouthed Tupperware closed. Once aligned, all you need is pressure.

PS: I reuse my pouches as much as possible. Initially I was putting them in the provided disposal bags and into the bathroom trash. Until I realize how many avoir du pois de shit I have! Believe me, it mounts (mounds?) up!
          I prefer to dump the bag out early when the plug can fall out and just snap it back on. (75% of the time I pop out Swedish meatballs. Very good form and easy to shake out! If things re going smoothly, one pouch can last to the next flange change which is almost always 4-5 days.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post

I hunch 23 piece is the way to go, even for a quad. I imagine that a one piece bag implies going through all the steps to replacing the flange of a two piece which means getting the area scrupulously clean and dry before adhering a new flange or pouch.
            Getting a new bag to snap on the flange is much like getting a large mouthed Tupperware closed. Once aligned, all you need is pressure.

PS: I reuse my pouches as much as possible. Initially I was putting them in the provided disposal bags and into the bathroom trash. Until I realize how many avoir du pois de shit I have! Believe me, it mounts (mounds?) up!
            I prefer to dump the bag out early when the plug can fall out and just snap it back on. (75% of the time I pop out Swedish meatballs. Very good form and easy to shake out! If things re going smoothly, one pouch can last to the next flange change which is almost always 4-5 days.
            Well that's a good idea I hadn't heard before. Interested to see if I can make that work... All the security of two-piece bag with the minimal waste of a one-piece!

Comment

The wafer is attached to the bag. Step-1 clean the area with a wipe Step-2 use a skin prep around the area Step-3 stick the bag to your skin. They make a disposable version https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...-closed-pouch/ You can get free samples to try. Take your time and find out what bag/system works best for you. Good luck! Here is a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtmwJDhujU
              Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 31 Oct 2020, 7:40 PM.

Comment

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow man. The internal argument regarding any life-changing decision can be agonizing. But, I think you'll find it to be the right direction to go.

I will throw out a counter to the discussion regarding placement just for your consideration. I ended up going an inch or so above the belly button line. I've grown a little bit of a belly over the last 25 years in the chair. I also sit in a dump position with my knees raised slightly. The result is that the area below my belly button line presses against my legs much of the time. So, I worried that I might have more problems with pancaking in a lower position.

The main fear that I had going above the bellybutton line was discretion. I didn't want a large bulging poop bag to be the first thing others noticed about me. This turned out to not be a big deal. My body has adjusted to passing stool mainly in the mornings. So, I generally know when to change. I also wear my bag sideways and usually wear loosely fit clothing. The result is that, unless there's quite a bit there, it blends in okay with my belly.

I didn't want to throw this out to cause you any stress just before surgery. The net result seems to be that above or below the belly button line works okay.
                Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

Sounds like a good amount of feedback given here already, but I'll throw my experience in here that I actually just shared in another thread…

I was 20 when injured and relied on family to help with "the routine" for many many years. I always felt terrible they had to help me with such a gross thing that was so time-consuming. I missed out on many going away opportunities with friends because I could never be more than two days away from having to do a bowel movement. When my parents "aged out" of being able to do it, I was facing the idea of having to hire an aid qualified to do the job. The thought of having to rely on the possibility of them calling in sick or moving on to other jobs was a very stressful thought. Everything else in my life required minimal help, but the bowel program was always a major challenge. I chose to have a colostomy done when I was 45, and it was a life changer. All of a sudden the ability to manage my bowel movements was something I could do myself. I wish I had done it a lot sooner!! Now instead of spending 1.5 hours doing digital stimulation, suppositories, enemas, and worrying of accidents, the longest it takes me to manage the colostomy is 10 minutes! That's a lot of extra sleep I get to have and a lot less stress. I'm 50 years old now, and so far have thankfully not had any complications related to having it done.
                  "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

The wafer is attached to the bag. Step-1 clean the area with a wipe Step-2 use a skin prep around the area Step-3 stick the bag to your skin. They make a disposable version https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...-closed-pouch/ You can get free samples to try. Take your time and find out what bag/system works best for you. Good luck! Here is a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtmwJDhujU
                    You make it sound so easy! Hopefully I'll be able to quickly adapt to the new process and feel comfortable with the one piece bag. Appreciate the support!

Comment

Originally posted by jeft View Post
                      I wish you the best of luck tomorrow man. The internal argument regarding any life-changing decision can be agonizing. But, I think you'll find it to be the right direction to go.

I will throw out a counter to the discussion regarding placement just for your consideration. I ended up going an inch or so above the belly button line. I've grown a little bit of a belly over the last 25 years in the chair. I also sit in a dump position with my knees raised slightly. The result is that the area below my belly button line presses against my legs much of the time. So, I worried that I might have more problems with pancaking in a lower position.

The main fear that I had going above the bellybutton line was discretion. I didn't want a large bulging poop bag to be the first thing others noticed about me. This turned out to not be a big deal. My body has adjusted to passing stool mainly in the mornings. So, I generally know when to change. I also wear my bag sideways and usually wear loosely fit clothing. The result is that, unless there's quite a bit there, it blends in okay with my belly.

I didn't want to throw this out to cause you any stress just before surgery. The net result seems to be that above or below the belly button line works okay.
                      Wow, that's a really good point! I'm going to talk to the surgeon briefly about this tomorrow and then make a decision. I'm comfortable with committing myself to maintaining a strict diet so my belly doesn't get too out of control, but as I age it's a definite possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrrrronnn View Post
                        Sounds like a good amount of feedback given here already, but I'll throw my experience in here that I actually just shared in another thread…

I was 20 when injured and relied on family to help with "the routine" for many many years. I always felt terrible they had to help me with such a gross thing that was so time-consuming. I missed out on many going away opportunities with friends because I could never be more than two days away from having to do a bowel movement. When my parents "aged out" of being able to do it, I was facing the idea of having to hire an aid qualified to do the job. The thought of having to rely on the possibility of them calling in sick or moving on to other jobs was a very stressful thought. Everything else in my life required minimal help, but the bowel program was always a major challenge. I chose to have a colostomy done when I was 45, and it was a life changer. All of a sudden the ability to manage my bowel movements was something I could do myself. I wish I had done it a lot sooner!! Now instead of spending 1.5 hours doing digital stimulation, suppositories, enemas, and worrying of accidents, the longest it takes me to manage the colostomy is 10 minutes! That's a lot of extra sleep I get to have and a lot less stress. I'm 50 years old now, and so far have thankfully not had any complications related to having it done.
                        Oh man, this sounds very familiar. When I first got out of inpatient, my girlfriend was there to help me. Then, when she decided to move on I quickly had to scramble and get friends and a caregiving aid trained up. Friends moved away, and with aging parents I was left with my caregivers and my sister has a long distance backup. Then Covid hit, and caregivers stopped showing up. I briefly had to move in with my sister because I didn't have any other options. And to make matters worse, she got a freak brain injury called a cavernous malformation that put her on the brink of brain surgery. That's when I just threw in the towel and said something's got to give. I hoped that I would be able to use a commode, even if it meant hours a day. But unfortunately something is wrong, and after weeks of trying had to give up and find the different solution. Tomorrow is the big day, and you're positive story is giving me a renewed sense of confidence! And this is after having the most miserable evening possible with a gallon of golytely and an inability to use the commode. Absolutely disgusting evening!

Comment

Oh man, this sounds very familiar. When I first got out of inpatient, my girlfriend was there to help me. Then, when she decided to move on I quickly had to scramble and get friends and a caregiving aid trained up. Friends moved away, and with aging parents I was left with my caregivers and my sister has a long distance backup. Then Covid hit, and caregivers stopped showing up. I briefly had to move in with my sister because I didn't have any other options. And to make matters worse, she got a freak brain injury called a cavernous malformation that put her on the brink of brain surgery. That's when I just threw in the towel and said something's got to give. I hoped that I would be able to use a commode, even if it meant hours a day. But unfortunately something is wrong, and after weeks of trying had to give up and find the different solution. Tomorrow is the big day, and you're positive story is giving me a renewed sense of confidence! And this is after having the most miserable evening possible with a gallon of golytely and an inability to use the commode. Absolutely disgusting evening!
                          i looked but what level are u 2 ps for me is way to go also i was having vey loose till sci nirse said use probotics i do now more solid. i use plastic sack from walmart or any grocery store i put a large platic trash bag across lap and chair just in case i have accident it prevents getting on me and clothes an chair i have 3 boxes of poouch a month prescription and 5 boxes of wafers. if you get the wafer you have to cut .get the cutter that makes the hole for you. u will love . i always care extra when i am out just in case

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post

i looked but what level are u 2 ps for me is way to go also i was having vey loose till sci nirse said use probotics i do now more solid. i use plastic sack from walmart or any grocery store i put a large platic trash bag across lap and chair just in case i have accident it prevents getting on me and clothes an chair i have 3 boxes of poouch a month prescription and 5 boxes of wafers. if you get the wafer you have to cut .get the cutter that makes the hole for you. u will love . i always care extra when i am out just in case
                            I'm a C5/6 but with triceps so function more like a C7. I just saw the cutters for the first time online, and that's awesome! I was thinking of having some friends make something just like that for me, but much better if I can get it commercially. I'll save my friends' engineering time for something else. :-)

Comment

I'm a C5/6 but with triceps so function more like a C7. I just saw the cutters for the first time online, and that's awesome! I was thinking of having some friends make something just like that for me, but much better if I can get it commercially. I'll save my friends' engineering time for something else. :-)
                              https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...RoC7SQQAvD_BwE

and it not xpensive i take a 1in x4 x 2fot board a 3 ld wt li a thoseyou buy a wamart center my cutter up and bam to or 3 time om a solid surface leave the plastic on take out the rubber thing i do a box a time i also use hair dryer to warm it up before i put it on the clean pouch hold for a minute or 2. u being a c6 will have no problem

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...RoC7SQQAvD_BwE

and it not xpensive i take a 1in x4 x 2fot board a 3 ld wt li a thoseyou buy a wamart center my cutter up and bam to or 3 time om a solid surface leave the plastic on take out the rubber thing i do a box a time i also use hair dryer to warm it up before i put it on the clean pouch hold for a minute or 2. u being a c6 will have no problem
                                Fantastic, thank you! I figure I'll wait a couple months for the stoma to settle in at its long term size, then I'm definitely getting one of these!

Comment

Working...
                                X