No announcement yet.

Questions about a possible colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be sure to use a circle filter on the bag. It prevents smell and does not need to be burped. I got mine early in my injury and has given me freedom in scheduling. It is easier for caregivers to change. Good luck!

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you mean a charcoal filter? These let gas out of the bag without a serious odor problem.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. I guess I should have mentioned if given a choice, a Sigmoid may be a good spot for placement over the ascending side.

Comment

Lol. Charcoal filter is what I meant. Software.

Comment

On all colostomies except those sewn shut for rectal cancer, there is a rectal 'stump" usually about 2-5 inches. The rectum should be irrigated -- 4-6 oz. saline or tap water enema- monthly or every other month after colostomy is totally healed- usually starting 3-6 months after surgery. The mucous can drain out or it can dry and a big ball can form. This will clean out the mucous and prevent irritation/inflammation etc..
        CWO
        Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 28 Sep 2020, 1:57 AM.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay, but things have been hectic here. I discussed everything with the colorectal surgeon here in Omaha, as well as my trusted physiatrist back home. Looks like we're going to go forward with the colostomy on Monday. Just in time for the election, I suppose! The surgeon has decided that it should be a sigmoid loop colostomy, which I understand is fairly routine and based on the feedback here is generally preferred. I'm still very scared, but hopeful that this makes life a bit easier to live with more independence. My uncurable fear is that it simply doesn't work, just like when I try to use the commode, and I die of obstruction or something like that in the hospital. Yeah, seems pretty unlikely. Looks like a whole new world of bowel caregiving that I'm going to have to learn!

Question for folks - I've been trying to stay pretty active at the gym and in PT while I am here at the rehab facility. How much is this going to curtail my exercise? What about all of the e-stim and what not that I do trying to regain core?
          C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

you will love it freedom from a c6c7 quad it will and you will wonder why did i wait so long

Comment

Abdominal estim may be restricted for a few weeks if you have a traditional vs. laparoscopic procedure.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                Abdominal estim may be restricted for a few weeks if you have a traditional vs. laparoscopic procedure.

(KLD)
                Oh great, that's not bad at all! I can handle a couple of weeks, and was really worried that there would be long-term restrictions in place.

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                  you will love it freedom from a c6c7 quad it will and you will wonder why did i wait so long
                  I sure hope so. I've read that many times, but somehow the uncertainty of this totally new world still scares me. I really hate the process the way it is now, but there's comfort in the devil you know.

Comment

You will like the freedom. One tip is to make sure your bag rests on a pillow in case you bump it during the night. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Kylewheels View Post
                      You will like the freedom. One tip is to make sure your bag rests on a pillow in case you bump it during the night. Good luck!
                      I appreciate every "pro tip" I can get! Thank you!

Comment

I met with the ostomy nurse today in advance of Monday's surgery. He checked my sitting position, having me move around and really show him how my body sits in the chair and twists with me in order to identify the best placement for my descending colon. He came up with two options, the idea being that the surgeon will have a backup location if he finds that there are abdominal muscles in the way or some other reason that my first choice isn't ideal. Both are about 2 inches to the rght of my belly button (from the perspective of somebody facing me), one about an inch and a half below the belly button line, and the other about an inch and a half above it.

It looks like the lower placement is more similar to the ones I've seen on others, but of course it would put the wafer just slightly above my belt line where I assume it could get some nudging from time to time as I move around. The other one would obviously be clear of any possible impediments, but it seems much higher than anything I've seen before. What are your thoughts on which of these two locations would be preferable, assuming either one could be selected? My suspicion is that the lower placement would generally be better, but I don't want to make a stupid mistake!

Comment

lower/better
                          and don't understand the pillow? I just go to bed, wake up a couple or more times and change sides when I do. The bag doesn't mind!
                          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                            lower/better
                            and don't understand the pillow? I just go to bed, wake up a couple or more times and change sides when I do. The bag doesn't mind!
                            I appreciate the very clear cut answer, no second guessing!

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
                              It looks like the lower placement is more similar to the ones I've seen on others, but of course it would put the wafer just slightly above my belt line where I assume it could get some nudging from time to time as I move around.
                              I use a one piece system. https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...ainable-pouch/ No wafer needed. For me it doesn't get any easier. I don't use a pillow at night either.

Comment

Working...
                              X