Low Sodium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Sodium??

Just had a basic Dr. appointment and blood test with my PCP. Nothing is wrong and I feel ok. One thing caught the doc's attention.....my sodium was low at 128 (Standard Range in this lab is 135-145). He wants a follow up blood test and urine sample next week. My sodium usually runs a little low in the 130-135 range. What do I do to get my sodium level up? I put salt on pretty much everything at dinner. I typically swill 64oz. of water each day and don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol. Thanks!

There are literally dozens of causes of low sodium. It would be irresponsible for us to guess what has caused yours and to recommend ways to fix it. Also suddenly changing the amount of sodium in your blood can be deadly. You should do the follow up tests your doctor recommends so they can figure out the cause and follow your doctors treatment recommendations.

Comment

If you have no pre-existing conditions with your kidney, heart or liver then low sodium can be attributed to drinking too much water.
      I’m assuming your creatinine level was within normal limits? And you are not taking diuretics?

pbr
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        If you have no pre-existing conditions with your kidney, heart or liver then low sodium can be attributed to drinking too much water.
        I’m assuming your creatinine level was within normal limits? And you are not taking diuretics?

pbr
        Kidneys, heart and liver are still ok. Actually my creatinine level was .32 mg/dL (Standard Range is .60-1.50 mg/dL). Over the years it has always been in the 20's and 30's. Anyway, my doc wanted me to get another blood test this week to double check and bring in a urine sample too. I typically drink 64oz of fluids daily. No booze, coffee, tea or diuretics....mostly just water. Nothing better than cold, fresh well water. Had a SCI since 1977, I'm 67 years old and feel fine.

Comment

Two points low from your normal and they want more money. I broke my left femur in June this year and my white blood count was 12.3 My Orthopedic doctor has said nothing about my blood they took and it was a lot Before surgery and after and said your a pretty healthy guy. Now my PMR doctor wants a blood test because it was a little high. Well hell it was after the break and the trauma and everything else that goes with it. Your blood work does move around trying to heal the break. My blood work has been fine for 10 years. They are running a lot of people for more test because they lost so much money from covid19 they looking for ways to make it up. A lot of people I know think the same thing.
          Art

Comment

It's good you are thinking about this. Low sodium gets more common as you get older, and it can cause problems if you don't keep an eye on it.

My Dad has had borderline sodium for years. It is probably due to a combination of medication side effects, age related changes, drinking a lot of water etc... You need to be careful because if it drops too low it can make you feel terrible/confused/weak and can be dangerous. Whenever my Dad gets dehydrated or gets a UTI etc... it drops even lower.

So it is good for your doctor to first make sure there isn't a new cause of lower sodium levels for you. Always review any new medications you are taking with your doctor in case those are contributing. And if there isn't an obvious cause, like with my Dad, you will probably need to start cutting down on all of that pure water you are drinking. It seems odd, but the more plan water you drink, the lower your sodium will get. My Dad is not supposed to drink plain water anymore. He drinks all sugar free sports drinks (powerade zero) that have some salts. And if he gets a fever/UTI/sick etc.. then he drinks Pedialyte (generic versions are cheaper), to prevent his sodium from dropping more. And yes, he has as much salt as he wants on food.

Comment

My doctor thinks I have SIADH. Basically too much water in my blood. He has instructed me to drink less fluids, Take in more salt in my diet, stop taking omeprazole and increase my intake of protein. I only drink about 64oz. of Fluids per day, I put salt on everything appropriate, Omeprazole is saving me from GERD and I believe a take in about 40 to 50 g of protein daily. If I drink less fluids it’s my belief I am going to get a UTI rather quickly. I’m going to buy some sodium tablets and take those and see how it goes.

Comment

after you start taking the sodium tablets for a couple of weeks, you can get your blood work rechecked to see if you sodium levels have improved
                pbr
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                X