How accurate are forehead thermometers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How accurate are forehead thermometers?

Most of my doctors and nurses use forehead thermometers now. The last one had a temperature of 98.6 degrees, but an oral reading I took a few minutes later with an old Welch-Allyn thermometer was 100.4 degrees. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my thermometer, or theirs.

Also, my oral temperature seems to fluctuate a lot. It was 100 degrees, then 30 minutes later 100.8 degrees, then 30 minutes later 99.6 degrees, then 30 minutes later 100.4 degrees. Is this normal? It's important to get an accurate temperature, I have another UTI.

For the past 3 or 4 years, I have used a VeraTemp forehead thermometer that I purchased from QVC and it works perfectly. I also have a digital oral thermometer that I use to occasionally double-deck the VeraTemp, and they're always within1-2 tenths of a degree of each other. My doctor uses an ear thermometer, and it seems to work great, too.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

My Physiatrist, whom I visited a couple weeks ago, has as part of their intake process the use of a forehead thermometer (at check in due to COVID). It was 100F that day and I had on a ball cap to boot. It took 15-20 minutes of me sitting in reception waiting for my external skin temp to return to normal before it read accurately. So, I reckon they're accurate enough, but ambient temps affect skin temps way before they affect internal temps. I was only outside long enough to assemble my chair, transfer, and push across the lot into the building.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        My Physiatrist, whom I visited a couple weeks ago, has as part of their intake process the use of a forehead thermometer (at check in due to COVID). It was 100F that day and I had on a ball cap to boot. It took 15-20 minutes of me sitting in reception waiting for my external skin temp to return to normal before it read accurately. So, I reckon they're accurate enough, but ambient temps affect skin temps way before they affect internal temps. I was only outside long enough to assemble my chair, transfer, and push across the lot into the building.
        I have had that happen.

Comment

Working...
        X