Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colloidal Silver for UTIs

Hey guys

Ive had a ton of infections and lately loosing my battle against the ecoli and have very few antibiotics left that work and seriously close to the bladder removal surgery and pray it works.

But I had another member massage me about this Colloidal Silver and I’ve never heard about it. But they said to inject 25ml of 500ppm silver when close to a infection. I emailed my urologist about it but waiting to hear back. But l searched old posts on the forum but only found real old post on it. Going back to 2003 and newest was 2010.

Back then they are talking about a spoon full of 30ppm to help bladder infections. Old posts said it’s a natural mineral from nature and unlike Antibiotics you cant become resistant to it!?!?

I also saw the posts sharing the side effects of it and skin discoloring and Grey finger nails?

Now that it’s 2020 who is using it and how long has it been successful? I’m at my wits end and willing to try anything before I do the surgery.

Thanks guys.
    Duane
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

While you can certainly find a lot of claims made for colloidal silver on the internet, little if any of it is based on scientific research of this product. Silver in other forms is used for some wound care, and there has been some use of silver compounds in catheters (with no proof that it works for long term catheter users).

People who ingest colloidal silver do risk some significant side effects and complications of it's use.

Here is an excellent meta-analysis of a number of scientific research studies from reputable sources about the use of silver compounds (not just colloidal silver) for treatment and prevention of infections.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4955599/

Just because something is "natural" does not mean it is either safe or effective. Lead is "natural" too, but you don't want it in your drinking water. The same goes for cyanide, ricin, and many poisons.

I would certainly caution you about simply taking colloidal silver (or any other drug) based on anecdotal reports or the recommendation of a lay person.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

https://www.wired.com/story/does-colloidal-silver-work/

Too much and you're in Smurf land.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
        Too much and you're in Smurf land.
        You're clear of infections though

Originally posted by dewie27 View Post
        .....I also saw the posts sharing the side effects of it and skin discoloring and Grey finger nails? Thanks guys. Duane
        I think that that result would require extensive, prolonged and heavy use of the stuff.

Royalty, born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Dewie, I used to use colloidal silver in moderation before discovering Aloe and how it works for me.
        I met one wheelchair rugby guy who used a silver trace in his supra- don't ask me the how of that but he swore by it.
        This was when I was enquiring on ways and means for my bladder management.
        Years back a good friend Jesse was a quad. His Mother would attend his pressure concerns and such with colloidal silver and honey/royal jelly poultice.

My recent pressure injury treatment involved daily silver lattice dressings dispensed by the nurse.

I could think of worse things to ingest or introduce into my bladder than silver. [Common sense and responsibility observed.]
        Check out the crap that comes with processed food and drink diet; then get concerned. Perhaps that has some bearing on your bladder issues??
        Last edited by slow_runner; 13 Aug 2020, 4:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewie27 View Post
          Hey guys

...loosing my battle against the ecoli and have very few antibiotics left that work and seriously close to the bladder removal surgery...

Duane
          ...for such an extreme measure, surgery, is it because you are symptomatic? My bladder and the ecoli gang have coexisted peacefully for at least a decade where I was lucky to have no smell, fever or other symptoms so my urologist suggested to leave them untreated and keep that arsenal of antibiotics effective for other issues.

Han
          Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

I would also question the extreme of removing the bladder, unless there are symptoms. Remember, you should only treat cultures that are positive when accompanied by symptoms. Otherwise, we all have bacteria lurking in different places.
            Again, I would echo KLD and not use silver since, like many metals, it can be toxic. Dressing with silver in them are a different beast. It is applied topically and only to a small area. Anecdotal reports of any kind should be acted on only after much investigation.
            ckf
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Sorry for the late post here but let me catch up.

So yes I only treat infections when I’m fully symptomatic with chills and sweats and vomiting and can’t eat or drink. I always drop off a sample and get it cultured for the right AB. I’ve been in a chair for 11 years so I know all about not wanting to over use ABs.

My current urologist is good and very skilled. He the head of the urology in Southern Alberta and years ago we talked about this surgery what’s else can I do to avoids infections and he said no way we aren’t there yet. But a few months ago he said we are getting to the point where “our backs are against the wall” and need to do something.

My urologist in Medicine Hat is a old man who should retire decades ago and refuses to let in any other urologist but that’s another story. So my GP Dr sent me to another city for a 2end opinion and he was good to talk to and I liked him. But he told me to try SILVER dipped catheters and if that doesn’t work sign up for the surgery. He said the paraplegics and quadriplegics he’s done the surgery too he claims they all said they should have done it a long time ago or right after their accident.

As far as aloe I’ve tried that too. I had someone from Australia or NZL message me and say use a Aloe planet and scape the
              goo from the inside of the leaf and drink it once a week. At that time I was getting a lot of A pseudomonas infections and it made a BIG difference since aloe was proven to beat it. But after a year or two the pseudomonas went away and the E. coli started and has became a SOB and super bug. I only have a few AB that are left to work and I’m only 39.

I have a 11 yo daughter and my goals are to be around for my daughters graduating, roll her down the isle and god willing meet my grandchildren and right now i don’t know how any of those are going to Happen. I don’t care if my plumbing is all messed up and pee from my forehead (jk) I just want to stop these monthly infections.

Honestly I’ve tried everything I have heard from this website and my Drs and don’t know what else to do. So trying silver isn’t a option it’s a requirement before I loose my bladder. I’ve read online about some others success like taking 20 or 30ppm orally 3x a day and 500ppm orally when your getting close to a infection. Or others just skip that and do 500ppm rinse when they are close and that’s recommend from their Urologist. I have tried that and that strength and it made me sick sooner. I believe it did kill all the other bacteria expect the E coli and gave it room to spread easily making me sick sooner. My urologist think it was from “stirring up” the bugs with the flush but I do Microcyn flushes daily so I don’t buy that.

Silver can very expensive and comes in a range of PPM from 5- 12,000ppm. So my last ditch effort I bought a much stronger Silver and will try to flush it and kill it and pray to
              god it works and can just do once a month
              flushes. That’s what others do is once a month. If you look at the history of silver and see that’s what the medical field used before we had even one antibiotic. It cured the The Black Plague from the articles I found.

If there’s science behind silver dipped catheters and lots other people swearing it works and can use it with out fear of becoming resistant to it why not give it a shot. And before I get hammered and jumped on there was science behind doing gentamicin bladder flushes and not getting resistance and I’m here to tell you that’s BS.

I have to try something else or get in line for the operation.

But always appreciate others opinion and suggestions.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Comment

Controversial. Silver is a deterrent but not convincing results when used on human’s. CWO

Comment

I'm sorry you have gotten into such a hard place.

My Dad also gets a lot of UTIs with resistant bugs. My Dad also got a gentamicin resistant UTI while doing Gent instillations. For awhile he was using silver foleys to see if they helped his frequency of UTIs but they didn't at the time. But now that we have got his bacterial load down a bit he may retry them. I can't help you though with your main question.... sorry....

Are your UTIs different bugs, or always the same bugs? Which one?
                  Are you taking any supplements etc. now to try to prevent UTIs?

Have you tried doing fosfomycin (old antibiotic) once a week for prophylaxis?
                  Are you followed by an Infectious disease doctor? I would never give up on treating UTIs and go for surgery based solely on a urologist's recommendation.

Have you tried microcyn instillations? Once a day or twice a day?

My Dad was in a bad UTI place with 3 UTIs in a row again, all resistant. But they weren't resistant to fosfomycin yet, an old antibiotic rarely used but recommended by his ID doctor. But he was headed in a rough direction. He is loaded up on D-mannose/methenamine/cranberry/methenamine/VitC and doing microcyn instillations daily and meticulous cleaning (or using a lot of new bags/supplies) and his urine is looking a bit better without clear signs of a UTI requiring antibiotics since June. That's good for him. He is using a foley now.

Comment

I'm sorry that you are having these recurrent UTIs as well. They sure do destroy your quality of life. I was having recurrent UTIs (drug resistant ecoli) a couple of years ago and came down with recurrent c.diff from the antibiotic treatment. I ended up having a fecal transplant to kill the c.diff but the infectious disease doctor overseeing it said there is some evidence that fecal transplants can also remove resistant ecoli from the gut. Its been 14 months post transplant and no UTIs and follow up stool samples a year later aren't showing the EBSL ecoli. Might be worth checking into with an infectious disease doctor?

Comment

Fosfomycin and Minocycline have been resurrected. Minocycline also good for skin. Catheter with silver tip/tube is what is tried. Not injection of silver. You can't inject pure silver. UTI's are not just caused by organisms crawling up the tube but the bladder lining( biodome) and pressure contribute. The barrier is compromised and more numerous infections. So much research being done but still so much to know. And why some get frequent infections and some don't.
                      Ellura, the latest hope for UTI's, but doubt effective if already with major resistance and ESBL + organisms. but look it up. It is not just cranberry juice/extract.

Also should treat for a longer course. thought is organisms can be "stuck" and medicine not getting to them or in prostate or has bladder/kidney stone. A course of 2-4 weeks is sometimes tried.
                      CWO

Comment

Working...
                      X