Clear All

COVID-19 and SCI

This is a good quick reference for all:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	COVID-SCI.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	880.7 KB
ID:	2901719

I just learned that one of my former SCI patients with a C6 injury is in the hospital with COVID-19. Bad diarrhea, fever, & coughing, but has managed to stay off the vent. I worry about him!

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 20 Aug 2020, 12:28 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sorry to hear this. How is he doing now?

Comment

So sorry to hear that. This is one wicked virus!
      ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Are posts missing?
        "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          No. Perhaps you are looking for the other thread called "COVID and Quadriplegia".

(KLD)

Thanks, How is your former patient doing?
        "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Thankfully he never had to go on the vent, although he was on supplemental O2. He was discharged home. They wanted to send him to sub-acute rehab (ie, a nursing home) and he refused (wisely).

(KLD)

Comment

Are lower injuries like mine (T-11,12) with general good health, considered any higher risk than the regular non- high risk population?
            http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
            my website & blog

Comment

Everyone is at risk to get it and everyone is at risk to die or have long term problems. No one should take that chance. Statistics are statistics.
              However, Not officially, and since you have all respiratory muscles intact your breathing should not be compromised or minimally. However, people who are young and have no hypertension, diabetes, are still dying from this disease.
              Follow the true guidelines- wear masks, social distance ( however, you never know who will walk up to you or near you so that is why you need the mask, and disinfect hands and things touched with alcohol, chlorox or approved cleanser. When flushing the toilet put lid down before flushing as virus has been found in feces. Pine sol has recently been approved and also listerine coolmint for gargling. Better to be safe than sorry!
              CWO

Comment

There is that VA study Wise quoted in a recent Virtual Open House that found SCI patients had ~23% mortality IIRC. It seemed kinda somewhat limited study though, and had some caveats and other qualifiers.

edit:
                https://www.nature.com/articles/s41393-020-0529-0
                Last edited by Oddity; 3 Oct 2020, 3:51 PM. Reason: Added link to study Dr. Young cited
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41393-020-0529-0

This is a case-fatality rate study, not a mortality rate study, which I think are slightly different things.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Prevention is the key! If you get the virus- you are the 100% of your your one person study- same with death and long term effects that we don't even know about it.
                    CWO

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I am one of those who have been careful from the beginning and following the recommendations as I don't want to contract it or contribute to it spreading. I was just wondering if my particular SCI put me in any official higher risk. Actually I think using a wheelchair does make me more susceptible because its difficult to sanitize my pushrims every time I need to sanitize or wash my hands!
                      http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
                      my website & blog

Comment

Originally posted by darlagee22 View Post
                        Thank you. Yes, I am one of those who have been careful from the beginning and following the recommendations as I don't want to contract it or contribute to it spreading. I was just wondering if my particular SCI put me in any official higher risk. Actually I think using a wheelchair does make me more susceptible because its difficult to sanitize my pushrims every time I need to sanitize or wash my hands!
                        I use an alcohol wipe on my push rims about every other day, and the chair does not leave the house. Some of the floor only get mopped once every 3 weeks, and that is the best I can do. I use my old chair for errands and it stays in the car.

Comment

Working...
                        X