Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible bladder infection - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible bladder infection - please help!

I have a terrible bladder infection that is extremely painful. I have had my suprapubic catheter for 10 years now and this has never happened. Somehow I have contracted MRSA and it's over 100,000 in bacteria. I'm on Bactrim for 14 days and it is not really helping.

My question is, is that my caregiver has recently noticed that it is very difficult to insert the catheter. It causes so much autonomic dysreflexia going in and out. Is it normal when the bladder is infected that it is more difficult to insert the catheter? I'm scared one of these times he's simply not going to be able to get it in and I will die.

-Corey

Not being able to get the catheter in is not uncommon when you have a UTI. The infection causes spasms of the bladder, and is quite irritated. As the infection subsides, it should get better. You can try taking a slow deep breath in and out as your caregiver is inserting the catheter. In through the nose and out through the mouth. There are also medications that you can take to help to decrease the spasms. Make sure also that you are staying away from high sugary drinks and caffeine. They both can irritate the bladder. Try to drink more water or seltzer (at least there is a little flavoring).

If your bladder gets to the point where you can not get the catheter in, go to the ER. They can try several things that you can't at home. And while it is certainly something that should be taken care of - in all likelihood you will not die from not being cath'd. However, given your history of AD, if you can not get the catheter in, please call 9-11.

Lastly, you don't say how long you have been on the antibiotic, but if it has been more than 3-4 days, please let your doctor know that you are still not feeling better.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have just gone through UTI hell. Same here UTI with mrsa and I'm wondering if my GP overreacted by giving me ciprofloxacin. I took 10 days worth and on the 20th pill I just couldn't take it anymore. The stomach pain was just killing me, seriously it was the most terrible feeling I ever had. I was also nauseous and had headaches. I had taken cipro about 25 years ago and had abdominal problems but it was never this bad. It's been 4 days now and all I've ate is toast and a couple eggs. I am happy to say I actually feel good this morning I'm hoping I could eat something good today.

So here what my question is. I will be seeing an infectious disease doctor soon and my urologist. Over the years I have started my morning with what I called coffee water that being a 24 ounce Cup of watered down coffee followed by 3 liters of water a day. This had worked well for many years to keep me UTI free. So obviously this PH balance is not working anymore. Any suggestions of what I could drink besides water around the clock now. I'm at a total loss of what to drink. Is the pure cranberry juice worth drinking. I am well aware the ocean spray is nothing but sugar and other brands like Northland are the real stuff. So maybe someone has some suggestions as to how I can make my urine a little more acidic.

OK quick edit. it just found out northland bunch of Apple juice and other juices. The price of pure cranberry juice it's like paying for a fine wine this is crazy.
      Last edited by tvot; Today, 08:39 AM.
      Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
      Bob Seger

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
        SCI-Nurse commented
        Editing a comment
        Cranberry juice or capsules are of questionable benefit for any UTI. Studies done in elderly women without a SCI found it may help prevent some infections with e. coli only. The same goes for other juices. Citrus actually makes your urine more basic, so if you are trying to get your urine more acid, that is not an option. I have never heard of coffee acidifying the urine. Indeed, there is little evidence that urine acidification with Vitamin C is also no better than placebo in prevention of UTIs in people with SCI. Water is still the very best fluid to drink.

Why did your PCP choose Cipro to treat your MRSA? Was it shown to be sensitive on your C&S? If you have MRSA, that means that it is generally going to be resistant to all antibiotics, even the IV antibiotics.

Rarely is asymptomatic MRSA treated, as it nearly always comes back very quickly.

(KLD)

Originally posted by This Sucks View Post
      I have a terrible bladder infection that is extremely painful. I have had my suprapubic catheter for 10 years now and this has never happened. Somehow I have contracted MRSA and it's over 100,000 in bacteria. I'm on Bactrim for 14 days and it is not really helping.

My question is, is that my caregiver has recently noticed that it is very difficult to insert the catheter. It causes so much autonomic dysreflexia going in and out. Is it normal when the bladder is infected that it is more difficult to insert the catheter? I'm scared one of these times he's simply not going to be able to get it in and I will die.

-Corey
      Maybe need a different antibiotic?

Comment

Working...
      X