Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD related : What are the best sleeping positions for mid to low back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD related : What are the best sleeping positions for mid to low back pain?

Quick and dirty: serious lower back pain for over two weeks – waiting for MRI – sleeping on side causes blood pressure jump due to autonomic dysreflexia along with sleeping on back. Sleeping on stomach is completely ruled out.

X-ray reports show no fractures but serious swings in BP which are very concerning but hospitalization is just as concerning at the moment so trying to maintain everything at home.

Best position I have found so far after researching is onside with pillow between legs and small roll ups of towels underneath rib cage for positioning. Still going to sleep with high blood pressures of 136/90 but maintains the whole night.

Still trying to find out the actual problem and right now the medical system is as bad as people can imagine. During the day – blood pressure can be maintained as long as I stay off my back completely. So I stay in my wheelchair and lean forward on the table and try to read, check blood pressure depending upon postural and orthostatic hypotension… Only way that my blood pressure can be my normal which is around 85/65 is if I stay lean forward for consistent my time and drink caffeine to keep it up. Currently, leaning forward in the wheelchair similar to child's pose completely relieves all pain and autonomic symptoms but is dangerous because of the drop in blood pressure down to 65/45. also could be fighting a UTI at the moment so things are very rough.

In the meantime have been fighting to get the MRI approved by insurance
    speaking with spinal cord injury physician/corresponding daily
    reaching out to primary care to coordinate and watch other organs for other signs that could be contributing to this.

I've never been in a position where I cannot find the problem on my own and I would probably go to a spinal cord injury center if Covid19 was not such a serious threat.

I've been to the hospital multiple times for autonomic dysreflexia and most the time they just give nitroglycerin and fluids to relieve serious high BP is and then just let me languish for days… Not a good position to be in especially if you can't have anyone that you know near you due to this virus. Have already been to the hospital early on in March due to serious UTI – IV and everything was on lockdown and I left to save my self.

Unless – this long story and I'm looking for a solution to sleeping. I have not found any position no matter how hard I try outside of what I've written up and even in the time period of writing this I have to deal with spiking BPs right now.

Thinking about taking nifedipine/Pro cardia. only at night to reduce the high BP end so that it can be regulated.

Open to any thoughts if anyone's read this if not. I totally understand I have not proofread and I'm in too much distress to do so at the moment. Will try to check tomorrow. Thank you for any ideas and truly appreciate anyone's time. This injury is so complex and seems only to become worse with time.

What are they looking for as the pain source causing your AD? Do you have osteomyelitis in your spine? Charcot joints?

It is possible to take 10 mg. nifedipine orally (NOT chewed) to manage AD from a cause that cannot be immediately corrected. Discuss this with your SCI physician as you do risk hypotension if you have this on board when sitting up in your chair.

When laying on your side, your hips should be at no more than a 30 degree angle to the bed, with your top leg positioned behind your bottom leg. A small pillow under your trunk at waist to armpit will help prevent excessive lateral curve in your back in this position.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and knowledge KOD.

I’ve been experiencing rather severe neuropathic pain and numbness for at least nine months but all x-rays have come back negative and so of course it’s the take additional neuropathic meds. As time is persisted the back became slowly increasingly tender… But not to the point where I could point to a direct reason.

I seen the spinal cord injury physician and my primary care and really had to push for an MRI. Still trying to get one since they’re booked up and my insurance is slowing things down to a halt. Right now – I could go to the hospital to try to maintain the blood pressure but it’s simply related to touching something that’s tender. It already hurts and I have diminished sensation anyways due to the injury.

Right now I’m completely clueless. Just trying to fight to get some tests and people to actually look at the actual x-rays…

Comment

Have you fallen or had any trauma to your back? When was your last bladder workup - most bladder conditions can give you back pain. Just throwing out some ideas. I would concur with KLD's description of positioning. Is it worse on one side or the other?
        ckf
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X