Catheter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catheter problems

I have been having issues with my catheter where it seems to drain really slow until I push the catheter in a little bit and clears the problem. Question does that mean a bad catheter and is that a problem?

Have you tried doing a good, vigorous, sterile irrigation of your catheter? It could be partially occluded with encrustations or mucous give what you are describing. Rarely is this a defective catheter.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Have you tried doing a good, vigorous, sterile irrigation of your catheter? It could be partially occluded with encrustations or mucous give what you are describing. Rarely is this a defective catheter.

(KLD)
      Thank you for the reply. Yes I often irrigate. But this time it would not allow the fluid in. So I push the catheter in a little bit and it allowed me to and the muccius out. Does this harm the catheter or harm the bladder?

Comment

I don't know how a catheter can get so plugged that I can't push saline into it with a 60cc syringe, but I've had that happen. I can give a somewhat empirical description.
        The syringe has a diameter of 1". I pushed it quite hard-I'd guess at least 20lbs force, which, if the area of the plunger was one sq in, would yield 20psi, but the pressure was commensurately higher because the area of a 1" cylinder is ~.78sq in so ~1.3x20, 26psi!
        That's huge pressure, about half of what is available in your garden hose. And it quite possibly was double or even triple of this calculation. I pushed the syringe in VERY hard!

What does this tell us? I don't know, but better change that catheter pronto!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
          That's huge pressure, about half of what is available in your garden hose. And it quite possibly was double or even triple of this calculation. I pushed the syringe in VERY hard!
          Yes, you need to change the catheter. If irrigation like that (which is correct) did not clear it, it may be completely clogged. Try rolling the catheter beyond the meatus but before the Y between your fingers. If you feel "crunchies" that is an indication of a significantly encrusted catheter lumen.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post

Thank you for the reply. Yes I often irrigate. But this time it would not allow the fluid in. So I push the catheter in a little bit and it allowed me to and the muccius out. Does this harm the catheter or harm the bladder?
            Yes, that would indicate a significant amount of mucous. After clearing the blockage, irrigate forcefully several more times until the urine is clear, you see no mucous, and the catheter drains by gravity well. The catheter should probably be changed as soon as possible, as it is likely to clog again.

(KLD)

Comment

Yes, that would indicate a significant amount of mucous. After clearing the blockage, irrigate forcefully several more times until the urine is clear, you see no mucous, and the catheter drains by gravity well. The catheter should probably be changed as soon as possible, as it is likely to clog again.

(KLD)
              Yes, that is exactly what has been happening. It happen again last night. i moved it back and forth and finally got the mucous out. I just got off cipro Sunday. Very little mucous when I stop and urine was clear as it can get. My urine still looks good except for a lot of mucous. Do you think I should stay on it longer?

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                I don't know how a catheter can get so plugged that I can't push saline into it with a 60cc syringe, but I've had that happen. I can give a somewhat empirical description.
                The syringe has a diameter of 1". I pushed it quite hard-I'd guess at least 20lbs force, which, if the area of the plunger was one sq in, would yield 20psi, but the pressure was commensurately higher because the area of a 1" cylinder is ~.78sq in so ~1.3x20, 26psi!

Thank you for the reply. Yes that is exactly what I went through.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post

Yes, that is exactly what has been happening. It happen again last night. i moved it back and forth and finally got the mucous out. I just got off cipro Sunday. Very little mucous when I stop and urine was clear as it can get. My urine still looks good except for a lot of mucous. Do you think I should stay on it longer?
                  How long were you on Cipro? Was that antibiotic selected based on a C&S of your urine?

(KLD)

Comment

How long were you on Cipro? Was that antibiotic selected based on a C&S of your urine?

(KLD)
                    Yes, I was on it for 7 days. The catheter got clogged again today so i had it changed. I am back on cipro.

Comment

If you were treating a true UTI, and not just colonization, and Cipro was the best antibiotic based on your C&S, you should be being treated for a complex UTI, which is 10-14 days of oral antibiotic, not the 7 days usually used for those with simple UTIs.

(KLD)

Comment

If you were treating a true UTI, and not just colonization, and Cipro was the best antibiotic based on your C&S, you should be being treated for a complex UTI, which is 10-14 days of oral antibiotic, not the 7 days usually used for those with simple UTIs.

(KLD)
                        My new urologist only give out 7 days. I need to talk to him. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X