Flu Vaccine for 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Vaccine for 2020?

During a PVA chapter Zoom video conference with Nurse Manager of our VA SCI clinic, I asked about receiving flu vaccination. She said they are working on a program, but at this point no solid information. We are quickly approaching flu season and remain in the grip of a pandemic. As drug manufacturers are working overtime to develop a vaccine for Covid19, regular flu vaccine is most likely on the back burner. No information on the type of flu is expected, pharma will be in a quandary on how to react to two viruses at the same time. Has anyone had a flu/covid discussion with their doctors?

Tommy Gunn
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I'm quite sure a Covid vaccine won't be available by the fall, which is when one takes the flu vaccine. And I haven't heard anything about them combining the two. Best to proceed with your annual flu vaccine as usual, and hopefully that is the practice. I typically take mine in September, before the rush later in the fall. Probably also best to get it out of the way should there be some miracle a Covid vaccine be available at the end of the year. You want to be fully recovered from any potential issues with the flu vaccine.

Comment

Crags, I get my flu shot in mid to late October. My primary VA doctor said that receiving the vaccine in mid to late October gives me protection through the heaviest period of the flu season. I have followed that time table for 15 years without a single bout with the flu. My concern is with the continuing spread of covid19, what consequences will we face in the upcoming flu season?

Pop Gunn
      You C.A.N.
      Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

The 2020 flu vaccine should be available on-time this year as always. The vaccine in the northern hemisphere is based on what flu strains were causing flu in the southern hemisphere in their winter (May-August), so rarely is the vaccine available prior to late September in the northern hemisphere.

Here is some excellent information about the strains anticipated and for which the 2020-2021 flu season vaccine is being developed:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-f...-2020-2021.htm

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X