Small heel abrasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small heel abrasion

I have a small abrasion on my heel, possibly from my front casters or foot rest. It has been lightly bleeding for about 5 days although I think it is improving. I want to be extra careful because I did have cellulitis in the foot a few years back that required antibiotic, and there is a lot of edema, and of course no sensation.

Should I bandage it? Put ointment on it? Or just let it be?

Is this the back of the heel or the sole of the foot?

I would recommend to use some triple antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin is a brand name,generic is fine too. OTC at your local pharmacy) and cover with an occlusive bandage. Healing will be faster if it is kept moist (not wet) and covered. Wash and reapply daily. Keep pressure off it, as an abrasion can turn into a pressure injury if pressure is applied. Is this the back of the heel or the sole of the foot?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• xsfxsf
      xsfxsf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. It is the back of the heel.

I had one a while ago. I cut the back of the heel out leaving just a thin strap to hold it on. Worked great and kept all the pressure off the heel yet still able to wear a running show.

Comment

There are some old and at one time very active threads on using Vetricyn (which incorporated Microcyn technology) use in flushing the bladder to inhibit UTIs. In about 2014 the Microcyn technology was licensed to Oculus Innovative Sciences who introduced HydroCleanse, basically the same as Vetricyn. As part of their product launch Oculus gave away 3 half-liter bottles to anyone who asked. I got three, and though bladder instillation turned out not for me, I tried it on wound care, which is the only on-label use anyway. I gave two of the bottles to two active AB friends who are constantly coming up with cuts and scrapes. Both agree that it's an extremely effective treatment for open wounds.

Comment

Working...
      X