You should be using Methenamine for prevention of UTIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should be using Methenamine for prevention of UTIs

I'm c3/c4 complete 29.5yrs post and I want to share this because this stuff is awesome. It really helps keep down bacteria in the urinary tract. I use cranberry extract too, but the Methenamine it at least 5x better

While this may seem to be working for you, the use of urinary antiseptics to prevent or treat UTIs in people with SCI/D has been shown in several studies to be no more effective than placebo. The same goes for the use of cranberry capsules or juice.

In addition, if you are using an indwelling catheter, and taking Mandelamine or Hiprex,and it takes 45 minutes (at a minimum) for the urine in the bladder to change this chemical into formaldehyde, the end result will most likely be a nice sterile leg or bedside drainage bag, but will not effect the bacteria still in the bladder, ureters or kidney. And this will also only make this chemical change in an acid urine with a pH of less than 5.5. This usually requires taking large doses of vitamin C and restricting your diet to an acid-ash diet, which is not very palatable.

We did all that in the 1970s and early 1980s but abandoned it when the studies showed it to be ineffective.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I know it's just anecdotal but I just was going through a bad kidney infection and there was some delay in getting my antibiotic script. So, I doubled up my methenamine and I started to see the typical signs that I see of the UTI beginning to get better. It was remarkable to me because I usually only see this when I start the antibiotics. I almost feel back to normal. I just got the real meds now and I'm definitely taking that though. Also, I've had a lot less UTIs since adding Methenamine to my daily

Comment

Per my urologist's suggestion 40 years ago, I've been taking 1G of vitamin C with 1G of methanamine mandelate (Hiprex). I don't know if it does any good. I get UTI's from time to time like anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
          Per my urologist's suggestion 40 years ago, I've been taking 1G of vitamin C with 1G of methanamine mandelate (Hiprex). I don't know if it does any good. I get UTI's from time to time like anybody else.
          As above. It probably won't hurt you, but it is doubtful it will help either. Science has moved forward in the last 40 years!

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

what is the latest thinking?

Comment

Pickle your bladder? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by AreWeThereYet View Post
                what is the latest thinking?
                As above. We did all that in the 1970s and early 1980s but abandoned it when the studies showed it to be ineffective.

(KLD)

Comment

I meant, what should I be doing differently? Aside from the standard drinking a lot of water.

Comment

• Maintain a closed system for indwelling catheters.
                    • Secure the catheter to prevent inadvertent dislodgement or pistoning in/out of the urethra or stoma.
                    • Assure no dependent loops in drainage tubing in bed or wheelchair.
                    • Clean catheter and surrounding skin daily with antiseptic wipes or soap and water.
                    • Avoid routine irrigation.
                    • Treat only true UTIs, not colonization.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                      • Maintain a closed system for indwelling catheters.
                      • Secure the catheter to prevent inadvertent dislodgement or pistoning in/out of the urethra or stoma.
                      • Assure no dependent loops in drainage tubing in bed or wheelchair.
                      • Clean catheter and surrounding skin daily with antiseptic wipes or soap and water.
                      • Avoid routine irrigation.
                      • Treat only true UTIs, not colonization.

(KLD)

Just wondering why to avoid routine irrigation? I had resistant reoccurring pseudomonas infections for 25 years. When I was younger (in the 80s) I didn't know any better and let the doctors keep treating me with Cipro/Levaquin, etc. until the pseudomonas was resistant. I went to pretty much every ID Dr. in Boston and was consistently told you would never get rid of that pseudomonas infection (so far they have been right.). They had me irrigating with gentamicin, until it was resistant, and then tobramycin, until resistant, and then amikacin. You are a wealth of information KLd, wondering what your experience with pseudomonas is.
                      Thanks again

Comment

Routine irrigation significantly increases your risks for infection.

Gentamicin and other medicated solutions are used for bladder instillation, not irrigation, but may not be effective as a preventive for everyone.

I have seen many cases of pseudomonas colonization and UTIs that were cured with appropriate use of antibiotics, as long as the use was based on C&S results, and as long as there was not something like a stone or chronic prostatitis sequestering the bacteria. Your case above is a perfect example of why resistant strains develop, of any organism, with repeated use of antibiotics, oral, IV, or instilled. It is not unique to pseudomonas.

(KLD)

Comment

My son has been using Methenamine for almost 16 years with very good results. He’s had, maybe, 1 or 2 uti’s since he started this medication. Prior to the methenamine, he had many.

Comment

Originally posted by Mombo View Post
                            My son has been using Methenamine for almost 16 years with very good results. He’s had, maybe, 1 or 2 uti’s since he started this medication. Prior to the methenamine, he had many.
                            A case study with an n=1 is not scientific evidence.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                            X