Cellulitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellulitis

Just got back from 5 days in the hospital due to cellulitis on the side of my right thigh and stomach. I was there in April with a UTI and Cellulitis but only a quarter size red patch on my right arm. OK one more time I was there at last Thanksgiving Day, right leg and stomach same place. All 3 times this happened left the house freezing and shaking and crying like a little girl. It seems there's never sign that it's gonna come on. It comes quick I don't see any red patches. The small patch on my right arm was discovered when I got to the hospital. My question is, is this UTI related. I've had 5 since 8/2019. The disease doctor keeps suggestion a subpubic catherter. I thought trials showed subpubics and indwelling there's no difference .Pre 2005 I had it on both my legs 3 times 2L & 1R, but I did not have a UTI. So my question is is it possible the ones are UTI related.. Any ideas? This was absolutely terrible I had a comforter over my head as I went out the door in the gurney and it was 90 degrees out.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Have you been seen by an infectious disease doctor?

Have you been seen by an Immunologist to see if you have an Immunodeficiency that is increasing your risk of cellulitis (and if so, it could be contributing to your recurrent UTIs)?

It is very abnormal to have multiple episodes of cellulitis without a clear reason. My father had this, and it was discovered finally that he had an immune system problem that was causing it. He is on a treatment for it now.

How are you managing your bladder now? Did you change your management method over the past year, since the UTIs started?

My father has also been using a uretheral foley recently (instead of CIC) and has been having more UTIs too. His urologist also suggested a SPC, and his infectious disease doctor and urologist both say that SPC are associated with fewer UTIs than uretheral foley. CIC is the lowest UTI risk.

Comment

We don't know why many people with SCI are more subject to cellulitis than AB people, but it is pretty common. Part of your routine twice daily skin inspection for pressure injuries should include inspection of your feet, ankles, calves, and thighs for signs of cellulitis. Red, hot skin is what you are looking for. There may be blisters as well. It is much less common in the upper extremities and abdomen/chest.

In AB people cellulitis is often associated with a wound on the legs. That is rarely found in those with with SCI/D. I have not seen any evidence linking this to either colonization of urine or true UTI.

In people with SCI, there is little or no different in the rate of colonization or UTI between urethral indwelling and SP indwelling catheters, but a SP will subject you to less risk of urethral trauma, which in theory could be the starting point for a episode of cellulitis.

I would agree that if you are having recurrent cellulitis that a consultation with an infecticious disease physician and perhaps an immunologist would be a good idea.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I often have a UTI accompany other issues that show up first, like cellulitis. First I get the cellulitis and then the UTI comes soon thereafter. I suspect the colonized bladder can spike to a symptomatic UTI when the body is busy fighting another issue like cellulitis. Not sure if this is true but it sure seems to work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post
          Have you been seen by an infectious disease doctor?

Have you been seen by an Immunologist to see if you have an Immunodeficiency that is increasing your risk of cellulitis (and if so, it could be contributing to your recurrent UTIs)?

It is very abnormal to have multiple episodes of cellulitis without a clear reason. My father had this, and it was discovered finally that he had an immune system problem that was causing it. He is on a treatment for it now.

How are you managing your bladder now? Did you change your management method over the past year, since the UTIs started?

My father has also been using a uretheral foley recently (instead of CIC) and has been having more UTIs too. His urologist also suggested a SPC, and his infectious disease doctor and urologist both say that SPC are associated with fewer UTIs than uretheral foley. CIC is the lowest UTI risk.
          I just had psoriasis 2 weeks ago. I will bring this to my GPS intention when I see him.
          Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
          Bob Seger

Comment

Had three episodes requiring hospitalization over six months, each about two months apart in each requiring IV antibiotics. All of mine started in the ankle/foot and progressed up the leg to the groin, which is substantial. Red streaking is telltale. First two times I think I was discharged quickly. After the last time I was put on penicillin prophylactically for a year. It did not recur and has not for the last five years.

I stopped it after that year.

When it occurs in the foot and ankles it is important to control edema.

My infectious disease md gives me a script for an emergency course of keflex, which I keep in the house and which has never been used.

Comment

Working...
            X